Best type of roost? Weigh in with your design opinion.

A1momof3

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Quitman, Texas
So what is they best type of roost? A roost with different levels or a roost with everyone on the same level? If you have a pic of what you think is the best design, please share.
yippiechickie.gif

I am sure you will get lots of this is best!! My opinion is a roost that is 2-3 1/2 inches in diameter such as a tree branch. I am in the process of finishing my coop/run and am using landscape timbers on edge staggered from ~ 18 inches from the ground to 6'6"!! I built it in a way that it can be swiveled up to allow access under the roost. I will be doing deep litter. You could also cut the landscape timber on a table saw and get two eight foot roosts from one timber.

David

ETA. This idea was from 4 The Ranch

Last edited:
Honestly, I think a roost with everybody on one roost is best. Chickens will fight to be on the highest roost so if you have many at different levels the will peck each other to get up high. Everybody likes their own designs so whatever your heart desires.
idunno.gif

I am at a point I can't decide. I have plenty of room that isn't an issue. I was thinking about tree limbs, wooden closet robs..... everyone on the same level or a staggered style. I just can't decide. I have read where people say as you did that they will fight over the highest spot but then I can't dismiss that all the roost you see are the "ladder" style. I have an issue see things in my mind. LOL

Ladder roosts are good because it provides a "natural" means for a chicken to get to highest roost. Just like free rangers roosting in trees. You also have to take into consideration a bird coming down off the roost so it does not injure its legs. Just make sure your roosts are higher than your nest boxes.

David

Like a whole lot of things on this forum, there is no right way or wrong way. People care a whole lot more than the chickens do. As you noticed people do both. Both ways work.

My suggestion is to simply give them plenty of room. You say that’s not a problem. You can even do both and see what happens. Why not?

I use a version of both, sort of. My main roosts are the same height, but I integrate a lot of chicks. I’ve noticed some adult hens can be pretty brutal to young chicks on the roosts so I put in another roost off to the side and about a foot lower down. The young chicks often roost there instead of on the main roosts.

both my coops use roosts that are boards turned on the flat side. with this type they can actually sit down and cover their legs this keeps them warmer in the winter plus gives their legs more rest. one of my coops has a ladder style roost.

I went with 2X4s on the same level. I read that they would squabble more trying to get the highest roost, with the ladder type arrangement. But, from what I've seen, they still squabble about where they want to be on the roosts. Some of them just HAVE to be next to one of their friends. And of course, there are disagreements on who gets to sit next to the popular ones. Some insist on a certain section of board, and there are always more than a couple that want that section of board. It's an adventure every night.
I went with 2X4s because it is just easier to work with dimensional lumber, than to try and figure out the best way to attach some odd shaped tree limb. Each board sits in a fitted notch at each end. That makes the roosts easily removable at cleaning time. Works for me.

900x900px-LL-c236d30b_55557_img_1365.jpeg

+1 on the 2x4 (or even 2x6) on it's side. And your coop will stay much cleaner, much longer if you install a poop hammock or poop board underneath the roost to catch the night time leavings. Fill it with granulated Sweet PDZ.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom