Best type of roost? Weigh in with your design opinion.

Aw, great minds think alike! I just posted this question awhile ago, too! Glad to read all the useful info here- isn't BYC GREAT!
wink.png
Glad I'm not the only "New Egg" with these questions.... Lot's of good info here.... lol....
bow.gif

This was good info. Thank you I wouldn't have thought to strip the bark! And poop boards fantastic! Thank you from a new chicken mom

The 4 Australorps are 5 week now. They are out in the coop with the lamp now for 2 weeks, they did great! and loved it. We got our 10 Buff Orphington's 2 weeks ago. We are about 42 to 45 at night here. I think the Australorps 4 are ready for a roost. They wont sit on the branch poles I gave them but they need to get up off the ground. I wish it was warmer so the buffs could go out but It is still to chilly.
the 4 Australorps 2 weeks ago

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post pictures? I am thinking about putting the roost over the nesting boxes and topping the boxes with linoleum. Do you have any problems with this design or would you do anything differently? Thanks

Ours sit on the designated roost (long tree branch across the width of the coop, 4 feet off the grpound), on top of the nesting boxes (ours are inside the coop), and in the rafters up in the roof of the coop (about 8 feet up - it's a walk-in coop).

They seem to prefer the rafters - 9 out of the 12 sit up there. I think it is warmer.
My question was for Kazfam -
First post --- sorry

mamazeta (my kids call me that...funny), our roost is not over the nesting boxes, sorry if that was unclear. The roost is actually opposite the nesting boxes. They girls sit on the nesting boxes as well as the roost.

EXCELLENT idea to put linoleum on your nesting boxes - they will sit on the boxes and poop on them so the linoleum will make it so easy to clean and prevent the boxes from rotting on top.. we have thin white sheet metal over the top of ours.

Here's a picture (for what it's worth) :

Here's the whole coop - see how high it is - they love to sit up on the rafters (the run is 3 times bigger than what is shown):

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom