Best type of roost? Weigh in with your design opinion.

the one in picture i posted is 6 foot wide. i figured enough room for 20 chickens to roost although im planning for 14 chickens in this coop

I personally wouldn't use 2x4's or anything wide like that. The chickens can't grip them properly. Some people will say that they use them so that the chickens can cover their toes in winter but chickens can cover their toes on all roosts because of their skirts. If you prefer standard lengths of timber I would use 2x2's with the corners sanded down a small bit just to remove sharp edges. If you can though I would find some tree branches with a diameter of 2-3 inches that are fairly horizontal and straight as roosts. I find a ladder type system is best, hens will fight over the best positions on any type of roost. I would advise you to make the roosts removable too to make cleaning easier.

Ours sit on the designated roost (long tree branch across the width of the coop, 4 feet off the grpound), on top of the nesting boxes (ours are inside the coop), and in the rafters up in the roof of the coop (about 8 feet up - it's a walk-in coop).

They seem to prefer the rafters - 9 out of the 12 sit up there. I think it is warmer.

Last edited:
POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are 2x4 in cups wide side up for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in. I realize of course this particular set up is not for every coop but in my small 8x4 salvaged metal shed with multi levels I have keep 24 birds in their all winter long with no run and no problems.

Winter months even easier flex vinyl flooring over compost bin DONE!

Easy peasy!.

Last edited:
This are the ladies relaxing in the 7 degree weather we had a couple of months ago. The roost branches are of stripped Alder wood.

The largest diameter of branches are around 2-1/2".

An empty roost...

Back
Top Bottom