Best type of roost? Weigh in with your design opinion.

2 X 2, 2 X 4, 2 X whatever. The flat surface is more stable and in cold weather their feet have better cover. I also think all on the same level. The birds are egotistical enough as is, no sense in giving one more of a superiority complex than they have already. Just my two cents worth.

I used a wooden stair hand rail and it has worked great. It is bigger around than a closet pole, is rounded for comfort and easy gripping and is smooth. I have mine all at one level, but there is still some squabbling every night.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that its important for their feet to stay healthy to have round roosts. like big branches. with a large-ish diameter they will still be able to cover their feet in winter. but it makes sense to me that round is better, so their little toes can curl around an relax.. I also think different heights, ladder type is nice for them to get up and down naturally, but you can always install enough space at the highest level that everyone can be 'on top' and there's no fighting..

First off.....I love this site!! So much info from so many great people!! Installing roosts in my (became very large very quick) chicken tractor tonight.space is somewhat of a premium, and I want to make it as comfy as I can. What would be the minimum space between the roost, and the ceiling. The coop portion of the tractor has a ceiling height of 4 feet at the location I want to put the roost. I'd like to get it as high as possible, but still leave them enough room to get up comfortably.

Hi Deno, Chickens pecking order applies to "who on top" of the roost as well as the yard. Our coop is 6' x 8' x 6' with attatched nesting boxes mounted outside. Poop board is 18" off the floor, and roosts are above that. I read Story's ( sp) book on raising BYC's (from Amazon) and with their suggestions put in a 3 step roost, with the top bar 12" down from the roof. each bar is 10-12 inches , offset, above the other, and the "bars " are 2x2's laid flat. Chickens PREFER a flatter roost because when they sleep it's easier for them to keep balance on a small FLAT surface that a round one. My Orp Splash Roo, and his main squeeze are always on top, til she gets replaced, and to her left is her BFF, etc etc. Funny how it works out.

We had 2x4's & plywood. Now we have tree limbs the chicks like this better. We also have a bantam that prefers to roost in the rafters of our coop

+1 on the 2x4 (or even 2x6) on it's side. And your coop will stay much cleaner, much longer if you install a poop hammock or poop board underneath the roost to catch the night time leavings. Fill it with granulated Sweet PDZ. ;)  

Does anyone have pictures or info about "poop hammocks"?
Also, can someone decode PDZ please.
Yup, I'm a newbie. I am in the process of completing a coop build before getting chicks so this is helpful & timely info! TY

Does anyone have pictures or info about "poop hammocks"?
Also, can someone decode PDZ please.
Yup, I'm a newbie. I am in the process of completing a coop build before getting chicks so this is helpful & timely info! TY

Welcome! I just discovered PDZ and am anxious to reconfigure my first coop and design my second coop like how I'm going to describe. Sweet PDZ is a horse stall freshener sold at most feed stores (ie Tractor Supply, Blue Seal), that numerous people are using basically as a poop litter. I just paid $12 for 40# at my local general store. It is supplied in two forms, both of which are recommended.
They're placing the roost 4-12" above a shelf framed with 1x3s or 1x4s and filling the shelf with ~2" of PDZ. The roost should be far enough away (10-12") from the back wall and front edge to avoid soiling these areas. It makes cleaning overnight poop very easy with a large cat litter scooper.......it's like the difference between cat reg litter and scoopable litter.

From what I've read on BYC, it is safe for chickens and composting. But not a good idea to use all over the floor as it may be too dusty in huge quantities.
For a much better explanation and pics look up this forum:

~~Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Back
Top Bottom