Best way to attach & un-attach Run to Move Coop?

Assuming your run would be wood framed, use common door hinges and hinge pins. They can be used close enough that there is very little gap between the run frame and the coop. All you do to detach is pop out the hinge pin.

I used a couple of sash locks on each side of our coop...our yard isn't the most level so some locations we move the coop and run I can't always get them all to line up and latch (which is where hinges wouldn't work for us, they have to be lined up more accurately for the hinge pin to sink in), but the run is heavy enough (2 people to move it), I feel having them cinched together in one lock on each side is plenty secure. There are a couple types, I used ones that look like the first pic since I feel the interlocking hooks are more secure than the disc type in the second pic. When I spotted them at Home Depot, I knew they were exactly what I needed for that, and they've worked great for us. Good luck!

Last edited:
I like both suggestions!
You can buy those interlocking latches in the first picture with a long arm so you just get it within a few inches and clamp it.
I would never be satisfied with store bought hinges! And end up making something out of pipe/flatbar and rod.

One thing I would suggest, is alignment blocks on the coop/run to make alignment easier.

Something as simple as blocks screwed to the coop...on the bottom and sides, so things line up pretty close, then camp it together!
Bevel the edges so things just slide together, self alignment...no lifting!

Back
Top Bottom