best way to candle quail eggs?

I have a dozen quail eggs that have been incubating for nine days. I tried the float test and all but one sunk like a rock. Is there still hope for the eggs that sank, or should i toss them?There was some trouble with the thermometer that came with my incubator during the first three days, so I'm pretty sure the hatch rate on these won't be great, even though I bought a new thermometer and have a good, stable 100 degrees F. going on at this point.

please I want some help with my quail eggs,,, how can I check if my quail eggs are still right,,i had my first quail at day 29 yea 29 the temp is 37-38degrees . I just started with this new hobby now and need any advise please. I have over 100 eggs in my incubator that must have been hatch but only one of them hatch . lots of thanks Hydi
D.gif

This I find interesting as I have jus got my first batch of quail eggs in incubator. ...can only vaguely see something in one ...as for others ..who knows as they do look as though there is air sacs..soneone mentioned their shells are thivker than chicken eggs, does this count for blonds and orange too?

I don't even candle quail eggs anymore except twice. Before I set them to look for cracks. Then I candle at lockdown to remove clears. Anything that is dark with an air sack goes in for lockdown.

yes that is supposed to work you also do it to check if an eggs rotten but I think that the float sink thing is differant

I candle with a little light on my IPhone it is really bright, I can see if there is development in my button quail eggs, just after 3 days. So it is definitely possible to candle quail eggs, you just need a good light!

I have had no trouble candling the Japanese quail. Here is a photo of the egg with the least speckles, unusual to have them this clear, but I can easily see even the very speckled. I use a torch that is 220 lumens.

Hi Max,
Got your message. I float mine at day 9 or 10. Then float again maybe the day you stop turning them. Then float any that don't hatch - say over due 2 days. But check for pipping carefully you don't want to drown them. Also you can listen to the eggs - you will hear pecking and tweeting the day they are going to hatch. If you hear anything - don't float them.
Cheers Martha
I use the tap and listen method. If I tap three times on the top of the egg where the air cell is I will get taps back if the baby quail is nearing its time to hatch.

i don't bother candling them or checking last year I hatched 9/12 quails and I didn't candle them

I candle with a little light on my IPhone it is really bright, I can see if there is development in my button quail eggs, just after 3 days. So it is definitely possible to candle quail eggs, you just need a good light!

I just tried that! It's amazing! Having tried using a torch with not much success, I used the iPhone at 5 days and could see the blood vessels! That's with a spotty cortunix egg!!!! Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom