best way to hatch eggs? incubtor or get a broody hen?

what will I have the best luck hatching eggs with?

• Borrowing a broody silkie hen

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Borrowing an incubator

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shhgirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
I'm about to order about 2 dozen eggs from on here. I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about hatching them. (What I'd have most hatching luck with) borrowing my friend's incubator (idk if it matters, but its the styrofome one) or borrow my mom's broody silky hen who is dying to hatch some babies?

Thank-you in advance!

I am using a broody for the first time and if nothing else it's been easier on my nerves as I'm not constantly checking humidity and temp.

Edited to add: Agree with Johnn about the Silkie not being able to hatch out 2 doz.

Last edited:
I am using a broody for the first time and if nothing else it's been easier on my nerves as I'm not constantly checking humidity and temp.

Edited to add: Agree with Johnn about the Silkie not being able to hatch out 2 doz.
how many can she sit on? i'm new to hatching. :-/

This was a great question. I just got an incubator over the weekend and have some eggs in it now. I almost can't relax for the need to jump and check on it.
Now far as my hens go i think I have some broody girls, my grandmother inlaw says if they walk with a puff in their wings they ate ready to sit. Has anyone found this to be true?

if you're getting 2 dozen, try them both. We just hatched our first chickens on Easter. We had a foam incubator and it wasn't much trouble at all. We did have an egg turner so only had to open it about every 3 days to add water. Just set it up a few days before your eggs come to make sure temps and humidity are stable.

Although I don't think you should hatch them out under the hen if you plan to take the chicks away once they have hatched.

Although I don't think you should hatch them out under the hen if you plan to take the chicks away once they have hatched.
no,no. She would get to keep them and play mama :) She's been trying to sit on eggs for monthssss. we're excited to finally let her hatch some.

Back
Top Bottom