best way to hatch eggs? incubtor or get a broody hen?

what will I have the best luck hatching eggs with?

• Borrowing a broody silkie hen

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Borrowing an incubator

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This was a great question. I just got an incubator over the weekend and have some eggs in it now. I almost can't relax for the need to jump and check on it.
Now far as my hens go i think I have some broody girls, my grandmother inlaw says if they walk with a puff in their wings they ate ready to sit. Has anyone found this to be true?
I knew mine was broody when she collected all the eggs under her and when I went to remove them she fluffed up to around twice her size, her tail came up and she glared at me. Also, no matter how many times I took her out of the nest box she would go back. She has been very good about not pecking me but she did attack my wellies when I was trying to put them on and she was out for one of her brief but frantic feeding and watering periods.

Last edited:
IMO, if you're buying two dozen hatching eggs, you should probably purchase an incubator. I do not care for the Little Giants myself, but the Hovabators come well recommended.

Good luck!

I would use a broody hen. You don't have to worry about temp. or turning them every 3 hours just keep her fed and watered.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom