Best way to keep water from freezing?

Quote:
From what they told me at lowes the 100watts are the first to go, then 75 and so on I think he said 2014 they would be gone.

That sucks. I guess I better clear out a closet and start stocking up.
rant.gif

I made the cookie tin water heater, and it was superb last winter! The only time it failed was when the light bulb inside it burned out.
I "modded" it out a bit; my guys had a can of cold galvanizing spray paint that I used up on the outside of the tin to keep it from rusting, and I put a layer of fiberglass insulation under the bulb and around the inside edge of the tin to keep the heat from melting the ground beneath it and direct the heat upward.

I made a larger one for this year's use because we've graduated to a 5 gallon galvanized waterer. The original cookie tin water heater was designed (I think) for a plastic 1 gallon waterer and a 25 watt bulb. I think I'm going to use a 60 watt bulb in the larger tin.

We have electricity running to the coop (for lighting and a low watt heating bar contained in a bigger galvanized pipe), so power to the water heater isn't a problem.

Please remember that aquarium heaters are VERY unreliable! They may be cheap, but they break very easily, put broken glass and parts where the birds can eat them, and have the potential to cause electrocution.

Quote:
From what they told me at lowes the 100watts are the first to go, then 75 and so on I think he said 2014 they would be gone.

DH keeps warning me to stock up on light bulbs because of the elimination of the incandescent--but he says 2012. Not sure if he's correct on the date.

I have a insulated 5 gallon rubbermaid container with an attachment with the nipples...the water in the attachment is freezing...would the bird bath de-icer keep the water in the attachment from freezing too?Thanks,

I doubt it unless you have a return line and circulate it. That way the warm water in the bucket would cycle through the attachment and keep everything thawed.

Ok I know everyone has different watering systems and ways to keep them flowing durring the cold months.  Lets post pictures and and ideas of things that have worked or things that others should not even attempt because we have already proved they are not efficient.  I live in Colorado and this is the first year I will have chickens in the winter and I am tossing around ideas in my head.  I would love to see what is already out there.  I would also like to know as to where your waterers are kept in the coup, or out side etc.  I am looking for a chicken waterer engineer out there.  Show us what you came up with, or write about it.

Yeah I have that one too... I've given up on keeping it warm, and just go outside every two hours to get the water flowing again. Although by this time it's frozen so I have to bring it in and refill it... Maybe a mixer in the water will do the trick lol

Back
Top Bottom