Best way to keep water from freezing?

Sort guys didn't see the questions asked earlier...

Yes there will be a little drop of ice on the end of the nipple but when the water in the bucket hits it thaws. I keep my waterer in the coop but you could keep it out side.

There are pictures of my set up on my page.

I've seen folks use incandescent light bulbs to provide a little heat. Even saw an old coffee maker hot plate being used.

These are great ideas.....I do have electricity out to my coup with a light on a timer out there and an outlet. I was at the pet store and looked at the mats that stick to the bottom of glass aquariums for lizzads I have one at the house on the aquarium with my mill worms ....not plugged in. I wonder if I placed it in the coup if it would work? I use an outdoor nipple system durring the summer but have switched back to a regular waterer as it is getting colder. I think I may just get a small bucket and hang it from the celling with nipples in the bottom and if need be through a bird bath heater in it.

I use the cookie tin heater. Got the idea from this site. It was built for less than $5 (Beats the heck out of almost $50 at TractorSupply) with an old cookie tin from the basement and a bulb fixture from Lowes. It uses a 40W bulb to warm up a 2.5Gal waterer. I have two of the waterers and just trade them out daily. I'm thinking of adding a thermostat to it, to switch it off when the temps go above freezing.
Jack

Does anyone know the status of the incandescent light outlawing that is coming up? I have only read that it's supposed to be done, not any dates or details. If they are going to quit making/importing all sizes, it would be a good idea to stock up. They'll probably be expensive on the black market. lol. I've been trying to stock up (because I HATE cfl bulbs) but I don't have enough room to keep dozens of light bulbs.

I think they are no longer going to be available for household lighting after January first. I stocked up already. I only needed enough for my chicken coop, because we already were using fluorescents in the house. We started that years ago, we're finding that they are NOT making them as well as they used to, and the cost savings have gone away.

I don't know about incandescent heat lamps, whether they are going to be permitted or not. I don't think they make any other kind of heat lamp, so their production ought to be protected. But how many congressmen have to raise farm animals? Not many I don't think. Not many that voted for the ban, anyway.

I think I will try this, thanks for the info!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I looked at that type of heated waterer in Tractor supply and said no way am I going to mess with that. It was obvious it woulds be a problem to fill. Like I posted earlier I use the electric dog water bowl and it works flawlessly for us. It never froze on us, not even a skim of ice on the top. I can't say enough good about this. Simple to empty and easier to fill. Give it a try, I'm sure you will be pleased.

What??? I hadn't heard this. That's crazy! I hate waiting for the dang light to actually light up when I walk into a room, it's so annoying.

Hey, on a different note, did anyone notice this is my 1,000th post! Whew, thought I'd never get here! Not sure it's a good thing or bad.
tongue.png

Quote:

Quote:
Starting in 2012, they are going to start fazing out the 100W and higher wattage bulbs. Then faze out the rest over the next couple of years. I don't know about the heat bulbs, but wouldn't be surprised if they were included, knowing the geniuses we have in DC.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom