Best way to kill cats? *Yeah I think the cats could have done it*

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family and I have lived on the farm, killing wild feral cats that attacked and killed my poultry flocks from time to time again and again. Slowly, they were killing and maiming our queens (very friendly barn cats) and expensive vet bills.

Now living in the city, no, you can not kill those feral cats...trap them and take them to the animal shelter....100 percent getting the sleep effect if they are not microchipped, not tamed. For tamed cats, they have a week to be claimed if collar, no microchip or if it has a microchip, they will try to contact the owner before being adopted out or put to sleep after a month of waiting (or longer, depending on the shelter's needs). Now, our shelter is closed because of lack of funds and people are now dumping their animals around here. Some resorted to trap and take the animal out in the country and shoot it.

One solution.......get a .22 and be done with it. It is NOT illegial to kill any dog or cat that attacked your livestock, children or pets.

Git r done!

Last edited:
Technically, you can kill any animal attacking you or one of your animals. I would say for your own sake that you video that attack because plenty of neighbors have gotten into trouble killing their neighbors's animals. Just a thought...CYA.

Personally, as a cat rescue advocate, I would recommend that you first contact your neighbors. Find out if the cats are theirs. If so, give fair warning that animals found on your property will be dispensed with. There has to be some kind of restraint or leash law in your area so they have some responsibility over their animals. They would certainly be responsible for making sure said animals don't get on your property, and you could certainly sue them for your losses (that should drive the point home, but would destroy your relationship with them).

If no one claims the cats, then I recommend contacting Ally Cat Allies. They have a national website. They will come out and trap, neuter and release the cats, but if they have fostering or rescuing resources (and the cats are adoptable) nearby, they ship them off to those resources. If they TNR, at least you know the population will die out and they will be aware of a feral spot that will need watching.

Beyond that, your birds should be kept in a predator safe environment if you are avoiding losses (some people live with their predator losses). We have a cat who likes to kill our chickens. She is not allowed outside while the chickens are roaming. We also have natural predators (raptors, coyotes, foxes) so we have a large fenced in run that is not easily accessible by these creatures though I'd imagine we'd kill one or two if push came to shove.

It is way cheaper to build some enclosure than to keep replacing birds or fighting a legal case in court for killing a family's favorite pet. Next time, don't wait so long. Fix an issue before it gets to the point that you are fed up and decide that the only option is to do something rash.

Technically, you can kill any animal attacking you or one of your animals. I would say for your own sake that you video that attack because plenty of neighbors have gotten into trouble killing their neighbors's animals. Just a thought...CYA.

Personally, as a cat rescue advocate, I would recommend that you first contact your neighbors. Find out if the cats are theirs. If so, give fair warning that animals found on your property will be dispensed with. There has to be some kind of restraint or leash law in your area so they have some responsibility over their animals. They would certainly be responsible for making sure said animals don't get on your property, and you could certainly sue them for your losses (that should drive the point home, but would destroy your relationship with them).

If no one claims the cats, then I recommend contacting Ally Cat Allies. They have a national website. They will come out and trap, neuter and release the cats, but if they have fostering or rescuing resources (and the cats are adoptable) nearby, they ship them off to those resources. If they TNR, at least you know the population will die out and they will be aware of a feral spot that will need watching.

Beyond that, your birds should be kept in a predator safe environment if you are avoiding losses (some people live with their predator losses). We have a cat who likes to kill our chickens. She is not allowed outside while the chickens are roaming. We also have natural predators (raptors, coyotes, foxes) so we have a large fenced in run that is not easily accessible by these creatures though I'd imagine we'd kill one or two if push came to shove.

It is way cheaper to build some enclosure than to keep replacing birds or fighting a legal case in court for killing a family's favorite pet. Next time, don't wait so long. Fix an issue before it gets to the point that you are fed up and decide that the only option is to do something rash.

Killing the cats isn't rash.
If they were pets then they could contain them like I do my pets.
How would they know I killed them? I'm not going to tell them. They could have just died of something mysterious.
I accept the loss of the ducks but I do not accept the loss of my ability to enjoy my property to it's fullest. We have identified a problem (the cats) and we are now going to take care of it.

Killing the cats isn't rash.
If they were pets then they could contain them like I do my pets.
How would they know I killed them? I'm not going to tell them. They could have just died of something mysterious.
I accept the loss of the ducks but I do not accept the loss of my ability to enjoy my property to it's fullest. We have identified a problem (the cats) and we are now going to take care of it.

Hey, if you feel you have exhausted all other methods that would avoid the killing, then have at it. There is always a limit of course, but if the result isn't a total win-win, no crying over spilt milk. Just saying. What I find most times is when people do stuff like that is it really wasn't a level-headed decision thought through. Can't think of a one that ended up in the media (which is the only way I'd know of private interactions) where either side did (that does include the pet owner,not just the pet killer) everything they could possibly think of to avoid negative repercussions. If you can kill the cat with impunity and no one is the wiser, have at it. If you put down anti-freeze and a kid gets in it, or a dog, or you shoot into the dark and kill your neighbor that's on you.

Feral cats are a major problem in America, (they are the #1 predator of birds), and there is NO major organization that is going to adopt them and take care of them, it simply cannot be done. A domestic house cat is three generations from feral. The third generation of kittens left unattended will be 100% feral wild.
^^Not true, there are organizations that will take in feral cats to re-home as barn cats or for people who need to get rid of rats or other things. I'm not sure if you go right to them to pick up the cats or if you have to either get them yourself/get animal control to do it, but they WILL take feral cats and find them places where people want them.

Hey, if you feel you have exhausted all other methods that would avoid the killing, then have at it. There is always a limit of course, but if the result isn't a total win-win, no crying over spilt milk. Just saying. What I find most times is when people do stuff like that is it really wasn't a level-headed decision thought through. Can't think of a one that ended up in the media (which is the only way I'd know of private interactions) where either side did (that does include the pet owner,not just the pet killer) everything they could possibly think of to avoid negative repercussions. If you can kill the cat with impunity and no one is the wiser, have at it. If you put down anti-freeze and a kid gets in it, or a dog, or you shoot into the dark and kill your neighbor that's on you.

I understand what you mean. I can safely say this isn't a spur of the moment, anger thing. I mean I'm rather ****** I have to do this but I do feel it's for the best. My biggest concern is the breeding of these things. I may only have 5 problems right now but pretty soon I may have 50 and that's a whole other ball game.

I understand what you mean. I can safely say this isn't a spur of the moment, anger thing. I mean I'm rather ****** I have to do this but I do feel it's for the best. My biggest concern is the breeding of these things. I may only have 5 problems right now but pretty soon I may have 50 and that's a whole other ball game.

That is really why Alley Cat Allies could help. They manage feral populations. They could help keep that situation from exploding. If all you're seeing is four cats of a larger group, and you just kill those four, you're going to have others come in and take their place. ACA will help keep that population under control assuming they have a foothold in the area. If ACA is not available in your area (that link above can help you check), you're likely going to have to keep killing them. Not unlike the ranchers in Montana and the wolves.

Instead of killing cats that may or may not have been responsible,try predator proofing your chicken coops. I have cats/dogs and i make sure that my chickens are safe from ALL predators,i have not had any of my tom cats kill any chickens. My dogs (black labs)would more likely kill my chickens then my cats. I personally find your forum heading"Best way to kill cats" offensive and disgusting,and i agree with Str8m8,why are you advertising this fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom