Best way to kill cats? *Yeah I think the cats could have done it*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets face it, no one likes to kill any predator. Unfortunately if you live in a very rural area often your choices are limited. There really isnt any assistance from rescue groups, not to mention if a cat is feral most shelters wont fool with it anyway. You can trap-until they figure out the traps. You can try hazing-I tried repeatedly with the hose. You can reinforce but sometimes it doesn't work. My grow out shelter is built from siding, plywood, 1x6 lumber, small woven wire fence WITH an over wrap of chicken wire. I also surrounded the bottom of it with cinder blocks. I had three young cats- one that was a teenager and two that were a bit smaller. Hell I even tried setting out food and water thinking that if they weren't hungry they'd leave the pen alone. What I finally caught them doing is they would reach their little paws through the wire (keep in mind this is small fence with a chicken wire overlay) hook a chick and try to drag it through. The bigger chicks they couldn't get through and they would just die from the injuries. Frankly it's frustrating because I KNOW where the cats came from. My neighbor ended up with a couple of strays that hang at her barn, she feeds them but didnt bother to get them fixed. So now there are little feral ones looking to make their claim on territory down the road at my house. After losing all my chicks save two I made the difficult decision to get rid of them. I love cats, we have a cat that wandered into our property starving this last winter. We fed him, fixed him, vaccinated him, and he lives indoors. As I said I don't think ANYONE really enjoys doing the dirty deed, but perhaps these people are asking for advice so they can do it as humanely as possible. Thankfully I think this thread has probably given them every option possible as a suggestion so maybe they won't have to actually kill a cat. But in the end people have a right to protect their livestock.

Instead of killing cats that may or may not have been responsible,try predator proofing your chicken coops. I have cats/dogs and i make sure that my chickens are safe from ALL predators,i have not had any of my tom cats kill any chickens. My dogs (black labs)would more likely kill my chickens then my cats. I personally find your forum heading"Best way to kill cats" offensive and disgusting,and i agree with Str8m8,why are you advertising this fact?
Again, this post violates the rules of P&P. Please read those rules at the top of this section. Fort Knox isn't going to fix every predator issue and if you pen chickens up that tightly, all you get is substandard commercial eggs from them and less than super healthy chickens. Everyone needs to keep their pet cats at home and the ferals are not doing anyone any favors. They are not natural wildlife but an insult to it, IMO. Sad, yes, to be sure, yet an issue that the folks in rural areas have to deal with as they see fit. This thread was going quite well and a good discussion. Predators and Pests is a place for such discussion, so that is why the OP is "advertising" that fact.

>>>my boyfriend worked as an animal control officer for years.
yes, they will come out to trap feral cats if you call them in as a nuisance animal.
and yes, it is a punishable crime in all 50 states to kill a domesticated cat, feral or not.<<<

I dont know what state you live but in Texas it is not a 'punishabler crime' ... the law in Texas is that property owners have a right to kill any dog, cat, fox, or coyote that is threatening farm animals...

however you can not shoot a protected bird such as a hawk, eagle or Owl without permission that is threatening your poultry..

...but dogs and cats domesticated or not are fair game....

Again, this post violates the rules of P&P. Please read those rules at the top of this section. Fort Knox isn't going to fix every predator issue and if you pen chickens up that tightly, all you get is substandard commercial eggs from them and less than super healthy chickens. Everyone needs to keep their pet cats at home and the ferals are not doing anyone any favors. They are not natural wildlife but an insult to it, IMO. Sad, yes, to be sure, yet an issue that the folks in rural areas have to deal with as they see fit. This thread was going quite well and a good discussion. Predators and Pests is a place for such discussion, so that is why the OP is "advertising" that fact.
I live in a rural area,keeping your chickens in a contained enclosure DOES NOT give you substandard eggs or less than healthy chickens,this is false information. My girls are free ranged with supervision and kept in a safe enclosure when i am not home. There will always be some predator after chickens that are free ranged,this is a fact and if this is what your personal preference is then you have to expect some loss of life. My male cats keep all other strays away. We will agree to disagree on killing domesticated pets,i would never want to be responsible for killing some child's pet. My chickens,my responsibility on keeping them safe. If one wanted to kill a cat,i am sure you could figure it out without advertising the fact that this is your intent.

Well said Speckled Hen. People that are so upset by this thread should do themselves a favor and not read it.

Nope,not upset just surprised that one needed to get input on how to do the deed. I would not have even bothered to read this thread if it wasn't for the heading on killing cats,i have cats so yes,i do find this offensive. Considering that it has not been proven that is was in fact a cat that did the kill. My male cats are huge but even they would have a hard time killing my birds,they only ones they might be able to kill would be my silkies,none of my cats show any interest in my chickens,i have one that likes to sneak in the chicken coop and sleep with the chickens,he has been doing this for years,when i find him in there he gets tossed out.

Again, this is the place for this discussion, whether or not you approve or disapprove of what the original poster intends to do. Just because I am acting as a traffic cop here in this thread at times (habit left over from being a moderator on this very forum for over five years and knowing and believing in the rules of it as I do), doesn't always mean I agree with what is being said; sometimes I do, sometimes, I don't. Never assume. The rules always apply.

I do free range the flocks and they have encountered cats and I have never killed one (yet). I have no issues in doing so if a cat or cats become a problem with my birds. I've seen a very, VERY large cat looking in my low-to-the-ground coop window-a screen that was leaning against that very window fell on it and scared it away as I caught a glimpse of it. It was obviously a Maine Coon and that is a HUGE cat. Could it take down a chicken if it was so inclined? I have absolutely NO doubt of that.

The facts of free ranging birds with good forage being healthier and producing eggs higher in Omega3's and other nutrients and lower in cholesterol, etc, has been proven. Won't argue the point. It is what it is. There will always be risks with free ranging. I mitigate those in a small way by running large roosters with the flock and have so far never lost one to any predator, cat, fox or coyote (though odds are my number is up soon, I realize).

Quote: The pet should be at home with the child, not on my property, crapping in my garden, spraying my porch and scaring my birds. That guilt trip doesn't work with me. If it's on my property, it's a predator, not a pet. Read my sig line. I mean every word of it.

Last edited:
Like i said,agree to disagree. My male cats are manx and huge they keep all other cats away,therefore i do not have to resort to killing a stray. Not trying a guilt trip,it is what it is,some child's pet.

Nope,not upset just surprised that one needed to get input on how to do the deed. I would not have even bothered to read this thread if it wasn't for the heading on killing cats,i have cats so yes,i do find this offensive. Considering that it has not been proven that is was in fact a cat that did the kill. My male cats are huge but even they would have a hard time killing my birds,they only ones they might be able to kill would be my silkies,none of my cats show any interest in my chickens,i have one that likes to sneak in the chicken coop and sleep with the chickens,he has been doing this for years,when i find him in there he gets tossed out.
I have bunch of cats also but do not find this offensive.But I had a big tom cat and he could beat up any other cats so I never had problems with cats.I agree with speckledhen all the way.

I'll do whatever it takes to protect my property.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom