Best way to kill cats? *Yeah I think the cats could have done it*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true of Louisiana also. If it breathes and is attacking livestock/property or family it can be put down.
Permits and proof of other failed tried methods required for birds of prey, but available still.
Feral cats are a huge problem here. Rescues will neverr catch up with the population with catch and release.
SSS. Protect yourself and your livestock.

Read up on all your local ordinances. Knowledge for your specific area is very important. It all matters where you are.
In most states, and I know in mine, you are allowed to kill dogs and cats to actively protect live stock, in my state that is extended to protect "any" bird.  Your mileage my vary, so check the state and local codes before you proceed.  But at all times and regardless of the legality, "mums" the word, in other words "SS&S".  

Our laws here for owning cats are to be licensed and under owner control if outdoors. Or the owners are fined. clearly stated, but people still let them roam. Control your cat, leashes are not required but one must keep it supervised or caged, penned or inside by law here-i don't see the neighbors giving a hoot about laws when it comes to their cats lol.
Owners break those laws and when the cat does hunt chicks in its nightly romp, its a predator, pet or not its dead just like any other coon, fox, opossum. Owners need to take responsibility. All new cats and dogs should be chipped with owners info. When "found" yay! Or fine them for abandonment and any other issues the pets caused.

Last edited:
Quote:
I see the tank fate of this thread coming. hahaha

I mean seriously the same argument could be had for all predators, why kill racoons why single them out? They make cute pets, so do possums. Why kill a fox or coyote when you can trap spay nueter and release them too, fair is fair right. Then they will all dissappear right?

Well, I won't go back and read too many posts on this one, but in all my years, I've never had a problem with regular house cats or barn cats going after my birds. Bobcats are a different story. Coons, fox, coyote, bobcats, mountain lions, hawks, and falcons will keep coming back if they can get a meal. I don't enjoy killing anything, but when it comes to my animals or wild animals, the wild animals stalking mine will die. I keep a secure yard and am attentive about ranging, but if I see hang-arounds, or evidence of breaking and entering, that means the predator population is on the increase. Traps will be set and baited as much as needed.

Like i said,agree to disagree. My male cats are manx and huge they keep all other cats away,therefore i do not have to resort to killing a stray. Not trying a guilt trip,it is what it is,some child's pet.

Unless you count the 2 adults, older than I am, children, these cats aren't a child's pet. I'm not even convinced they are the neighbors pet. They feed them but the cats run wild.

I mean seriously the same argument could be had for all predators, why kill racoons why single them out? They make cute pets, so do possums. Why kill a fox or coyote when you can trap spay nueter and release them too, fair is fair right. Then they will all dissappear right?

Seriously? LOL I am not paying to spay or neuter every danged coon and critter in northern Kentucky.....they come near my coop and I say "Hi critter, engage round into chamber, Bye critter, BLAM"! And I DO NOT care what animal it is. And no coons and possum do NOT make cute pets.

Seems like there is actually no proof the cats killed the ducks.

The OP stated that their dogs killed their own turkey.......so I am guessing its more likely the dogs killed the ducks too.

I think the OP just wants to kill the cats. Thats up to them. Shoot them. I bet more ducks will still go missing after the cats have gone.

Then they will be onto killing the next animal, and the next.

Guess it gives them something to do if they have a lot of spare time on their hands.

I personally would keep my birds in a secure enclosed run. Then never have to worry about predators getting them.

So just an update. The traps clearly aren't working so we will have to move on to other options. Last night around 8 I went into the barn and there were 3 cats. All my birds, including my chickens, are suddenly roosting in the rafters of the barn. That's new. This morning when we let the dogs out there were 2 cats in the run. They made it out just in time. We have decided to lock the birds up nice and tight and let our Weim out to roam at night. He's the only one successful at catching cats. We'll try him before the poison. Our Akbash should be healed from surgery in another week and then he'll go out with the birds. Hopefully the dogs can assist us in keeping things safe.

Seems like there is actually no proof the cats killed the ducks.

The OP stated that their dogs killed their own turkey.......so I am guessing its more likely the dogs killed the ducks too.

I think the OP just wants to kill the cats. Thats up to them. Shoot them. I bet more ducks will still go missing after the cats have gone.

Then they will be onto killing the next animal, and the next.

Guess it gives them something to do if they have a lot of spare time on their hands.

I personally would keep my birds in a secure enclosed run. Then never have to worry about predators getting them.

Dogs are fenced up. Turkey flew over the fence in with the dogs. Our LGD's are good with the birds. Our weim is bad with birds in general. We take him out hunting them. He's the one that got the turkey.

Quote:
I agree entirely. This has been my experience, and I have tested various methods of keeping over the years. Since the health of my birds directly translates into healthy feed for my family, their health is of utmost importance to me. So I freerange them and take my risks with predators, but have not had any serious trouble. If I did though I would have to take care of it, since it would only escalate.
Quote:
This is not the cure-all it’s often being touted as. Even if it were, there is their health to consider, which can be great in a caged environment under a knowledgeable owner but still won't match that of a free ranging bird.

I can honestly say my birds have encountered far more predators IN the cages than outside, where they roamed unsupervised with a massive population of feral dogs, pigs, cats, foxes, birds of prey, snakes, etc, etc, etc… My cages are more secure than many, too.

Pythons have been my main problem, and they can bend even heavy chainlink mesh as they force their way through it. Around the bottom of the cages I put small diameter aviary mesh, but a 10ft python can reach a lot higher than that, and a python small enough to fit through it can still kill multiple birds that it has absolutely no hope of eating. I think they keep killing as a defense behavior, so when they do stop and swallow anything they can fit, they can digest their meal in peace without survivors attacking them. As for the big ones, all it needs is to get its chin onto something to climb it, never mind the 'third of the body' rule people are taught.

But snakes are easier to deal with than cats, easier to catch and relocate into an unfarmed and uninhabited place, and being natives, I give them far more leeway than I would an invasive pest. Also a python might only eat once a year, but a cat requires regular meals and once it finds a colony of prey, will tend to set up camp and procreate. Even if TNR'd it still has a belly to fill on a regular basis.

It's good the thread poster's made a positive ID on the predators. Best wishes with gaining control of your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom