Best Winter Layers

We had to put in a heat lamp to start getting eggs again. I have a Barred Rock thats laying every other day, not sure whay the other 3 BR arent laying but shes always been the best layer of the 4. The GLW, SS, BA, RIR, and Wellsummers are all about 2 months from laying age so we wont find out how they do in the winter till Feb.

Here's my best winter layers (so far this winter). They are 9 months old.

1. Easter Egger - 16 eggs from 11/17 to 12/9
2. Light Brahma - 13 eggs from 11/17 to 12/9
3. RIR - 12 eggs from 11/17 to 12/9
4. Orpington - 10 eggs from 11/17 to 12/9
5. Barred Rock (she just started molting though so she's not laying now) 8 eggs from 11/17 to 12/9
6. Buttercup is not laying AT ALL. She's about half way through her molt. 0 eggs

I started keeping a spreadsheet to keep track of my best winter layers, so I can add more of those breeds next year. Also I wanted to track who might be going into a molt from how many days it's been since they laid. All of my girls have distinct differences in their eggs, so it's easy for me to tell who the egg came from.

Out of the standards my barred rock has been laying daily since they all finished molting.

i have 2 cornish cross and 1 leghorn.
i usually get one egg per day from my leghorn and about 1 egg per day or 2 days from my cornish crosses

So any of the rock breeds are good through the winter? Does it have to do more with age than breed? Mine are all about 7 months and still laying pretty good despite the cold temps (13*F right now)

Mine are not laying yet....but my neighbor has 6 RIR's with no supplemental lighting in the coop and he gets 6 eggs almost every day. Occasionally he only gets 5.

I have Wyandottes and Jersey Giants in NH. Both breeds are terrific layers year round.

To New2Chooks: Here is the simpleton's question of the day (simpleton referring to me!)...How do you know which and how many eggs each hen is laying? Short of sitting out by the coop and checking in each hen as she enters to lay or applying lipstick to her vent so I can trace the egg to her (!), I can't figure out how everyone knows what their hens are laying. I'm just dumbfounded at this. We have 20 hens. The five new Silkies are separated from the standard 15 and it's not as hard to trace thems to the eggs. However, the other fifteen are likely to lay anytime, usually in their nest boxes, but potentially anywhere in the coop or indoor pen. I know I have some slackers among these fifteen and some that have been faithfully laying since we got them through the summer, but who lays what and how often? Some of you on the forum seem confident of that information about your flocks, but ...how? Help! ~G

First off, when they started laying, I spent way too much time in the coop.
roll.png

I witnessed them laying or sitting in the nesting box and got the only egg in that box later. So I now know who lays what egg. My RIR lays a round, darker brown egg with tiny little white speckles. My BR lays an oblong medium color beige egg with lavender speckles. My light brahma lays a round, almost pinkish egg with a pronounced pointy tip. My BO lays a really oblong light brown egg. My EE is the only green egg layer and my buttercup is my only white egg layer, so those are easy.

Back
Top Bottom