"Bi-polar/depression" How is it this spring

redrstr29

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Hi Guys just wondering If anyone else suffers from this, and wondering how this spring is treating everyone....ITS BEEN A LONG YEAR and a tiring one at that
caf.gif
....Ill get into my story if people actually respond to this,
tongue.png
Feel free to share yours!! Take care everyone and have a blessed day!

Aldo

Hi Aldo although I have never been diagnosed with bipolar i do suffer from depression/anxiety with what I call manic episodes.
So I am probably not far from being diagnosed as bipolar. It does sound weird waiting for a diagnosis but it almost seems to give you a
better handle on things, I think. Of course I do have other health issues that have to be factored in as well and they all seem to aggravate one another. Hence the reason I am no longer working and staying at home and watching all my beautiful chickens grow. My mom passed away in January and I always took care of her so another reason I got into chickens I think is so I would have something to nurture and play mother hen to. Okay enough about me. It was nice meeting you. Talk to you soon, I hope and God Bless.

Thank you for responding, I was starting to think I was the only one out of 230,000 members that was depressed lol, First off let me start off by saying I am sorry for your loss!! Its been a good 4-5 years for me, i used to be on about 4 different medications but I felt like they made me worse, now with alot of will Im only on one for anxiety which also helps with mood swings, Its funny how you said the chickens sort of help you because it gives you something to mother, I kind of feel the same way, I have been out of work for a year now, im 29 and this is the longest ive gone with out a job since I was 14 for more than a few days!! I ended up getting chickens again a few months back and they help greatly, Its something to nurture, I also have an extensive annual garden, (and a bengal cat named Sheba) I honestly think if it wasnt for the animals I wouldn't know what I would of done, especially the chickens, it gives me a reason to get up and go outside and B.s with them lol keeps my mind off things and gives me responcability and worth, being with out a job really is getting to me but I have to resolve a few things first (health wise) and its soooo hard in CT i went to over 60 interviews in the past year and nothing before this last job I had for 7 years I used to land every interview I wenton sometimes landing for than one job in a week and I actually had the option to pick and choose, this past year has been a doozie, I also take care of my grandmother who is 92, my mother also had knee surgery, and the hard win ter we had in CT didnt help at all, its hard trying to explain to people about anxiety and depression, especially cause I try not to show it on the outside, I garden every day have planted over 500$ worth of annuals (its beautiful I gotta get pics) lol that was my mania stage lol and now im wanting to get rabbits but I have to try not too im just looking for stuff to nurture!! I hope you have a better days also and thank you for responding

Aldo
D.gif

I am not bipolar but I have several friends that are. My step father was bi polar also. The only constructive thing I have to say is that the proper medication works wonders. The problem is getting it right. And if your doctor or clinician can't or won't help you, keep looking until you find one that can.

Hi
I'm a newbie here, but I'm bipolar with anxiety, too. On meds I do okay but I haven't worked for 5 years. I stay home and take care of my kids full time, and am not looking at going back. My husband does most of the gardening, it was never my thing. But these chickens will be a project my 14 year old daughter and I do together. The winters are hardest on me, and I'm betting that taking care of the chickens will be good for me. Taking care of someone else is the only thing that spurs me on sometimes. With my youngest starting kindy this year, these chickens will be my babies!
D.gif

Awww they def, will help alot!! I hate going places, I used to be real bad (abandoning shopping carts) but now I feel more up to certain challenges, Its very odd what bothers me and what doesnt, Like I hte goin places alone and need a huge puch to go to parties or events, once i'm there I usually have a good time, sometimes too much happiness depresses me...go figure lol

Hi Major thanks for commenting! It's nice to know that there is more than two of us out there. lol. I think you will find the chickens to be good therapy! They are such funny critters to watch and interact with. I too find it hard to go places, it is the overwhelming feeling of getting ready going out and pretending to be happy! I have not worked in a year myself and will not be returning either. Not only do I have this depression/anxiety thing I also have meneire's dz (chronic vertigo, caused by spinning of the inner ear) and some days are really really bad and others I can deal. But how do you work like that, when I was working I would get up every morning very dizzy and nauseated and try to drive to work somedays were impossible. Employers cannot depend on that! I agree that winter is worse than other times to do seasonal anxiety disorder and I always look forward to the spring! I go back to my doctor this week and hopefully he will be able to tweek my meds enough where I can enjoy this summer. Hopefully we will all have a great summer and enjoy your adventure with your daughter and new chicks.
Redrstr your annual garden sounds wonderful, I had planned on doing a butterfly/hummingbird garden around our side deck but haven't found the energy or motivation I need to get it done. As far as mania stages, do you feel really bad when you come down from that high and does yours last for very long. Mine will last several weeks and not always so productive but I like spending money (a lot of money) during my mania. This is how I ended up with so many chickens this spring. lol. I think my husband is ready to kill me over it sometimes. Sometimes i think he has the patience of Job to put up with me and my issues and other times I don't like him much! lol
Thanks for listening to my rambling and I enjoy "our talks"
God Bless!

I find my self in trouble all the time, Like with my annual garden, I spent tsoo much money and Its so large and extravegant, and Then I buy amillion chickens and I just bought a preg, rabbit
he.gif
....Then when I come down Its a huge job trying to take care of everything, and I get overwhelmed, then when I have it under control i think I can take on more and have to try and resist. yes my high stages last a couple of weeks, then a week of low, sometimes longer for each, I spend all I get and then some, and then find my animals living like rockstars, they have all the ammenities I see and have to buy, Now today I peered out my window and I just don't wanna do it, but I HAVE to force myself cause they areliving things and depend on me, once im out there im ok for a Little but

I've dealt and fought with depression for most of my adult life, along with social anxiety. This past winter made it rough, it seemed to last longer, with more snow and coldness then I've seen in a while. Spring's helped a lot. Keeping busy helps even more. If I can keep going, and keep myself motivated to keep going (the hardest part of it) I tend to be play for the most part. I work 40+ hours a week, grow a large garden, and spend time with my 16 month old and wife. It makes me feel productive, and helps me feel good, when I can make things, grow things, and provide for my family in another way other then just a little money in our account.

Last edited:
Nice to meet you bartholomew, welcome to BYC! It sounds like winter was bad for all of us. Sounds like you do keep busy at play and at work! I wish i could be motivated again. My daughter and I have planted veg garden in raised beds out back but not doing too well for some reason, very sad about that. But the farmer's market will be happy to see us this summer. lol. Do you have chickens that you are raising and any other pets?
redrstr, I see you gave in to your urge for rabbits, now looks like you will have plenty. lol. Good luck with that! I know you said you have a million chickens but how many do you really have? and what breeds? I am having a dilemma with my two roosters that were supposed to be hens and what to do with them, that will make me have four roosters and of course I don't need that many but other than Mr. Rooster, who has seniority, how do I decide which ones to get rid of. Decisions, decisions!
Well ya'll have a good evening and will probably talk to you tomorrow.
God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom