Big gaps in run panels

McGill

Chirping
Jun 4, 2023
Kansas
Love this new poultry pen from tractor supply, very sturdy. But not loving these 2" gaps where all the panels meet. The panels themselves are covered in hardware cloth. My budget is maxed out so I'm trying to finish this for not a lot of money. Would pool noodles work here? How do I secure them to the frame?

Attachments

• 20230610_181940.jpg
    20230610_181940.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • 20230610_181958.jpg
    20230610_181958.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to BYC.

No, pool noodles will not work. Rats, weasels, etc. will chew right through them, raccoons will rip them off, and snakes will push past them.

People with this sort of run usually extend the hardware cloth layer across the joints. I've seen people suggest metal zipties to fasten them but others use regular, UV-resistant zipties or various other types of fasteners.

Galvanized tie wire would be my choice.
https://www.toolstation.com/galvanised-wire/p52042
Make a hook with the wire feed the hook through the fence and pull towards you so the free end of the wire and the part attached to the coil are through the fence far enough to grip with a pair of pliers. Cross the loose end of the wire over the length from the coil making a cross. Grip the point where the crossed wires are and twist the wire four or five turns. Clip off the tails and tuck the twisted end down so it doesn't stick out.

It really depends on how secure you need it to be. If you lock them up at night, you will be more secure daily then free ranging them. If you believe in the Fort Knox stuff, use hardware cloth. I have used many things over the years including plastic garden fence. I presently have chain link kennel panels with nothing else but blocks around the outside. In 30 years I have lost 3 chickens in the run, acceptable to me maybe not acceptable to you. Good luck!

Use that hardware cloth to close the gaps along the bottom perimeter when you add it to the lower walls and as anti-dig skirting; above this height they shouldn't be a problem for raccoons, only smaller rodents and small predators if you have them.

For bridging the gap, I'd fold over the fencing to make a rigid "flap" of mesh that gets overlapped by the door panel on the inside and outside edges; the door will only swing one direction after this. Alternatively you could use a piece of metal for this flap too.

Chickens will peck and eat pool noodles/insulation wrap, don't use it.

Back
Top Bottom