Big Momma hatched her first chick today... need question answered ASAP

csaws

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Indiana
We had a chicken go broody so we got ten eggs from a local chicken guy that has roosters and let her do her thing. We are down to three eggs two right beside each other and the third is little (6 -8 inches from the others) Well today she hatched her first chick... I kicked her out of the nesting box to get footage of it for my kindergartner that called me at the firehouse last night ecstatic that she heard a chick "peeping" in the egg. Had I known this egg was gonna hatch I would have kept her home from school today to learn more than she could've there.

Anyway my question is once the chick was out "big momma" was allowed back in the box and she promptly sat down on the other two eggs and the baby chick... is this ok? Is it likely the egg that is separated from the other two is gonna be viable? There have been a couple of other birds in that box with big momma trying to be broody too. The other chickens are now isolated in the run away from big momma and her chick.... but we can't keep it like this... so now where do we put the chick(s)?Does big momma go with them once she is done hatching them? Anything else you can offer would be great.

We have a dog house that is insulated and such that we can put the chicks in. These are our first home hatched chicks so we have no idea what to do, we usually get them a few days old from rural king.

Ok well we now have no chick as "big momma" squished its guts out. So i presume it was not ok to allow her back in the nest to sit on the others eggs with the chick in there. My wife is crushed and our little girl is gonna be beyond that.

It should have been ok to put the chick back under her... Sometimes things just happen, you did nothing wrong. I don't know what to do about the other eggs. hopefully someone else will answer.
hmm.png

It is absolutely amazing to me how much this board is like high school all over again, if you aren't posting a bunch or about certain things it seems no one has the time to help you out.

Thank you SilkieRoo for your assistance yesterday, to the rest of you though, I am sure glad it wasn't an emergency that I needed an answer to.

Time to find a new chicken board where people actually take the time to help others out.

Last edited:
csaws - First of al I am sorry that your little baby chick didn't make it. I know it is sad but unfortunately this does happen. I had a broody Delaware hen that was broody since June and she was very persistant. She wanted to hatch some babies very badly so I kept putting the close to hatch eggs under her so she would be a momma before the others were. It didnt' work out so well and I was certain she was going to be a horrible Mom. The last egg I put under her had 'peeped' so I was very excited but she pulled the baby out before it was ready to come out and we took it away and brought it inside. it didn't make it and we were sad, but that proved to me that she is either to young to be a momma or she isn't cut out to be one. Luckily she gave up and is now out with the rest of the flock again. Thankfully. But I will tell you that every other hen that has been broody has been an excellent mother and still sat on eggs for 2 to 3 days to hatch them even after the 1st chick hatched. I know that you are sad but keep your head up and don't give up. This site is WONDERFUL and I at times haven't gotten a fast reply but do you realize how many people post on here. I think you should try to hang in here and I am sure that it will get better. Please don't leave here because you will miss out on all that is here to offer. The people on here are pretty amazing and I have learned so very much from them even if I have not experienced what they are going through.

hugs.gif
to you and your daughter. Have yo tried to candle the remaining 2 eggs to see if they are viable?

Lisa

I've felt the same way, that no one has time to answer. I had a baby chick die yesterday out of no where and not one person responded with possible causes. So, I will let you know that I have no experience with your problem, but I am sorry for you, your wife and your little girl. It's a shame that she'll have to learn this other much less happy life lesson. My kids and I are heartbroken each time we lose a chick.

I was posting a good bit yesterday and I never saw your post. I am really sorry because I would have answered you.
sad.png
It is perfectly fine for momma hens to sit on the chicks with the eggs. Unfortunately, some chicks do get squished and some get crushed and some suffocate. Most are fine, I would be so sad too but you did nto do anything wrong by letting the momma back in there with the chick.

I just want to add that timing of your post is EVERYTHING! If your post gets at the front of a large group of posts from people who are all mostly posting at the same time, it will disappear quickly without anyone seeing it. I was in the raising chicks board off and on for hours yesterday and I never came across your post. The ASAP in your title was a GOOD idea, but it never showed up for me yesterday.

This happens a lot and seems to have nothing to do with who posts, just a matter of timing. Again, I am sorry to see your sad news.

Carol O.

I saw your post but didn't respond because I didn't know the answer. A lot of people who peruse these boards are newbies (to hatching chicks) like yourself, who don't have all the answers. Likewise, it's wonderful to have the "pros" here to answer our questions, but I doubt they make it their full time job to counsel us chicken mamas. I'm sorry you feel like no one was helpful, but I don't think it's fair to go calling this forum "like high school" when really, we're all here for the same reason...we love our chickens and want to relate to people who feel the same
smile.png

I'm sorry that you lost your baby. I hope that you continue to use this board. I have learned so much from just reading and searching topics. Good luck.

Removing the hen to photograph the chick may have upset her to the point where she inadvertantly stepped on the chick when she got back on the nest. Hopefully the other eggs will hatch. The next time you have a broody hen, set her up in her own "private" area where the other hens can't bother her. Provide enough bedding that she can form a well padded nest. Candle the eggs once to remove duds. Then LEAVE HER ALONE until the chicks have all hatched. Some hens are just more nervous than others. Since she was a first time broody, she may have been especially nervous. Good luck with any future attempts.

I was on yesterday as well... didn't see your post. But as above post states, some of us don't have the answers. And sometimes the timing is off. Like your eastward and I'm in the PNW. Time differences are key. Get yourself some books too. They are a great resource. Also when you don't get a response you might try the EMERGENCE thread, or put in a search(upper right hand corner) and learn from others experiences. Above all have fun... this is new to a lot of us.
I hope your DD isn't soured by this experience as these are life lesson that can not be learned anywhere else but in the home with a loving family.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom