Birds Move Fake Eggs

erixsparhawk

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
Anyone else have birds that move the fake eggs all into one nesting box? I put some fake eggs into the nesting boxes a few days ago and for the last three days the eggs have all been moved into the birds favorite nesting box. Based on the setup of the boxes, this is no easy feat. I feel like I am being pranked!

You betcha! It's so funny to see where they'll turn up.

I gave them some extras just to play with. They roll them all over the coop and take turns burying them and discovering them in the deep pine shavings.
Interesting. You would think that would encourage them to play with real eggs which of course would risk breakage. I've put out fake eggs plenty of times before in the last 6 years but never had them be moved.

Huh.
I've read of it, usually with broody birds, never had it happen here.
Have had them kicked out of nests during the process of 'arranging' the nest bedding.

My hens -- at least the Barnvelder I've watched do it -- is very deliberate about rolling the egg with her beak until it's just where she wants it. Then she goes back and does some adjusting.

Maybe she's confused that it doesn't "feel" like an egg with a liquid center? I dunno. I just know that at the moment they've put 4 of 6 dummy eggs into play in the deep pine shavings and 2 have remained in their proper place in the nesting box they all use for at least 4 days.

I never thought about encouraging them to peck at their own eggs as a result. Maybe I'll take them out. But then I haven't had any problem collecting intact eggs either.

I learn so much from BYC. I was just responding in jest but even so I've gotten significant stuff to think about! Thanks everyone!

Mine move real eggs and fake eggs. Sometimes they'll push one all of the way out of the coop. They have trouble getting them from one nest to another because of the height of our nest boxes, but they've managed a few times.

Anyone else have birds that move the fake eggs all into one nesting box? I put some fake eggs into the nesting boxes a few days ago and for the last three days the eggs have all been moved into the birds favorite nesting box. Based on the setup of the boxes, this is no easy feat. I feel like I am being pranked!
I have, only by luck, managed to pin point the only one who does this. And I didn't even connect it until I just read your post and realized that the 'egg moving' in my coop has stopped. And, my Welsummer had a terrible terrible molt and hasn't laid in a while. So now I believe that it is she who tosses the eggs out of the box. When she begins laying, I'll bet that I find eggs thrown out again. We'll just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom