Black Acres: The chickens that saved me

Pics

blackacres

Wrangler of the Tiny Raptors
Oct 10, 2021
Topeka, KS
Part One

I’ve been hesitant to start my flock story for a few reasons.
1) I am a novice chicken tender and just began my flock 4 months ago.
2) There are so many wonderful stories from other members that I am trying to read about and most of my time on BYC is spent doing that.
3) I’m not sure how much I have to say yet.

Alas, I decided to start anyway with plans to keep up so that I will have a diary of sorts to look back at over the years and see where it all began.

So here goes nothing. I’ve loved chickens my whole life. My grandparents raised them and as children, we would help catch them for Grandpa when they needed inspection, medical treatment or it was time to butcher. We also collected eggs several times a day. I honestly do not remember what breeds there were. I only know they were dual purpose and that Grandpa would incubate in a tall shelf incubator that held 100’s of eggs a a time.

Fast forward to my adult life. I married and settled down in a small, rural town with a population of under 1,000. I wanted to get a few chickens for eggs. I didn’t know of anyone in town that had them so I phoned the water department/police department/city hall (all the same thing in this tiny town,) and was given a firm “NO.” I was honestly shocked. But followed the rules and did not get chickens.

Over the years I did start to notice a few homes with small coops in the back and began to get excited. Apparently, the rules had changed! As quickly as I got excited, my hopes were crushed again as an announcement was sent out to all town residents to have their chickens off the property within 30 days or face fines. The rules hadn’t changed after all.

I lived there for 19 years. In April of 2020, we bought a new home about 10 minutes South of the town on 2.5 acres. Before we even moved in I was telling my husband how excited I was because I could finally have chickens! He was not as excited. He kept saying we had other things to concentrate on with our new property before we began adding animals to it. 8 months after moving, we then purchased the empty land beside us; another 2.5 acres. Surely with 5 acres he won’t deny me chickens now! Wrong! He would remind me we didn’t have anywhere to house them and he didn’t have time to build something as he had his own projects to concentrate on.

Then my friend got chickens and I lived vicariously through hers and that was enough to keep me satisfied. That satisfaction was short-lived when she over hatched and had far more chicks than she had space for and, alas, I hatched the plan of how I would finally get my chickens!

Part Two

One day, while my husband was distracted by helping some friends clear brush, I went out to the garage an emptied a large, plastic tote and set it up on a folding table. I then threw a pet carrier in the back of my Blazer and set off to TSC. I purchased chick starter, some electrolytes, feed dishes, waterers and a heating plate. Can you guess where I went next? Yep, straight to my friends house.

We spent a while chatting about breeds and trying to decide which ones I’d like to give a go. I was very indecisive, so I settled on several different ones, 9 total. We loaded them into the carrier and I set off for home with my adorable 4 week old baby chickens screaming in the back. On my way home, my husband called. Part way through the conversation he said, “where are you? Is that chickens I hear?” I let out a nervous giggle and came clean. “Yes, those are chickens you hear and they are with me in the Blazer.” He then asks, “where are you taking then?” When I said I was taking them home, I swear the sky got dark and a tornado quickly swept through. He was not happy and he sure let me know it. “Why do you do these thing? Where are you going to put them? I told you to wait. I don’t have time for this!” Amongst many other things that were said. I told him they were only 4 weeks old and that I already had a brooder made up and ready and that would give me plenty of time to figure out their permanent housing.

I got home with my babies and set up the brooder and placed them all in. They quickly settled in and began chirping away, eating and drinking. I sat and watched them for what felt like hours. I couldn’t believe it. I finally had my chickens!

Attachments

• 4AE9E0A9-1D85-45BF-9E82-A99F1AC81751.jpeg
    4AE9E0A9-1D85-45BF-9E82-A99F1AC81751.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 73

Back
Top Bottom