Black Acres: The chickens that saved me

Pics
I am so glad I stumbled on your post. I have had horrible depression and anxiety through the years also and have to work on it everyday. I am looking forward to keeping up with your chickens as I raise mine. I also have 3 silkies. 1 bantam serama rooster
Part 8 - How the chickens saved me

So harmony is in full swing with the bigs and the littles separated. Now I just spend my days dreaming about the breeding Seramas I am getting in January. 🤫 Shhh. The husband has no idea they’re coming. Okay, that is only partly true. He knows I want them, he knows I’ve been researching them. He knows I’ve been acquiring a set up for them.The part he doesn’t know is that they’ve already been paid for and are flying to our coop in less than a month. I’m beyond excited to start my adventure with Seramas. I’m breeding for SOP because I want to enter shows. You probably noticed the title of my thread is “The chickens that saved me.” I’ll go into that a bit now

I’ve struggled for many years with depression. I was doing great for a very long time. And then in February, my Great-Grandma died. Then my Grandpa in July followed by my Grandma in August. Three of the most important people in my life all taken within months. There were two other life changing events that I will not go into, but they are heavy and a constant source of emotion for me. One of those tragedies forced me to leave the job I loved. I am an EMT and was working on an ambulance saving lives and helping people. It is my passion. But I was working 24 to 48 hour shifts, keeping me from my own home and children. I was missing out of birthdays, weddings, school activities and so much more. So I quit and took a job that allows me to work from home and has normal hours. I enjoy my job now, but my heart was left on the ambulance. So, now being home nearly 24/7, left me with a lot of time to become lost in my sorrow and worries. I needed a hobby, a distraction. Something that depended on me. That is how the chickens saved me.

I spend a great deal of time with them. When I’m with the tiny raptors, as I lovingly call them, nothing else matters. They get excited when they hear me coming. They talk to me with their little chicken noises and happily take their treats from my hands. A few of them love to jump up and sit on me for while and one especially loves to have her neck scratched. I love on the ones who come to me for it and I simply observe the ones who don’t. The coop and run is my happy place. It’s where I go to forget my troubles. I want to give them the absolute best life possible because of all they give me. So they’re pretty spoiled and I’m already dreaming up ways to improve their current coop and run this coming Spring.

My next few posts will be introductions or each one in my flock. If you’re still reading, thank you.

and 1 Jersey giant hen

Part Two

One day, while my husband was distracted by helping some friends clear brush, I went out to the garage an emptied a large, plastic tote and set it up on a folding table. I then threw a pet carrier in the back of my Blazer and set off to TSC. I purchased chick starter, some electrolytes, feed dishes, waterers and a heating plate. Can you guess where I went next? Yep, straight to my friends house.

We spent a while chatting about breeds and trying to decide which ones I’d like to give a go. I was very indecisive, so I settled on several different ones, 9 total. We loaded them into the carrier and I set off for home with my adorable 4 week old baby chickens screaming in the back. On my way home, my husband called. Part way through the conversation he said, “where are you? Is that chickens I hear?” I let out a nervous giggle and came clean. “Yes, those are chickens you hear and they are with me in the Blazer.” He then asks, “where are you taking then?” When I said I was taking them home, I swear the sky got dark and a tornado quickly swept through. He was not happy and he sure let me know it. “Why do you do these thing? Where are you going to put them? I told you to wait. I don’t have time for this!” Amongst many other things that were said. I told him they were only 4 weeks old and that I already had a brooder made up and ready and that would give me plenty of time to figure out their permanent housing.

I got home with my babies and set up the brooder and placed them all in. They quickly settled in and began chirping away, eating and drinking. I sat and watched them for what felt like hours. I couldn’t believe it. I finally had my chickens!
So happy for you! Is husband on board yet?! I am just starting on the adventure, and after a few years of talking, husband said he's actually excited about this! Still researching coops, runs, and breeds, but it IS happening!

So happy for you! Is husband on board yet?! I am just starting on the adventure, and after a few years of talking, husband said he's actually excited about this! Still researching coops, runs, and breeds, but it IS happening!
You both will have a blast with chickens they are such fun! Like 2 yr old kids! They play, fight, sneak around…. Snooze and start all over again🥰

You might want to stay away from production breeds and go with a barnyard mix (mutt), they are more hardy and less likely to have issues laying eggs like being egg bound, or reproductive issues. Also they won’t burn themselves out laying copious amounts of eggs 😟

You both will have a blast with chickens they are such fun! Like 2 yr old kids! They play, fight, sneak around…. Snooze and start all over again🥰

You might want to stay away from production breeds and go with a barnyard mix (mutt), they are more hardy and less likely to have issues laying eggs like being egg bound, or reproductive issues. Also they won’t burn themselves out laying copious amounts of eggs 😟
Agreed! Easter Eggers are hardy, docile and productive, and you'll love the greenish-blueish eggs!

Back
Top Bottom