Black, Blue and Splash (BBS) Marans discussion thread

I just thought I'd share a couple pictures from my BBS pen. I am currently looking to replace the black cockerel with a better specimen, if any of you have chicks or hatching eggs to sell, I'd be interested.

This Black rooster looks to be part Ameraucana or something similar. Check the general shape of his body against the Black Marans male in my Marans photo album.

Last edited:
This Black rooster looks to be part Ameraucana or something similar. Check the general shape of his body against the Black Marans male in my Marans photo album. 

I can assure you that he's purebred. His mother is one of the hens pictures and his dad was a decent black Marans male. All my Marans came from Wynette Adamson here in Michigan. He obviously doesn't have good type so I ordered some Black and Blue hatching eggs from Beverly Robertson , I'm hoping for a decent hatch in about 2 more weeks.

Can someone help me identify these marans please. I think the first one is a black, but it has a lot of yellow on her chest and I'm not sure that's normal. I'm guessing the second is a blue or splash? Any help is welcomed! Thanks.

Can someone help me identify these marans please. I think the first one is a black, but it has a lot of yellow on her chest and I'm not sure that's normal. I'm guessing the second is a blue or splash? Any help is welcomed! Thanks.

Looks to me like the first one is a black...the yellow will feather in black. The other is a blue. Both pretty chicks. A splash would be kind of yellow with hues of light blue.

We just picked up 5 chicks yesterday 2 splash and 3 blue, one blue is definitely a male. They'll get their own pen when big enough. We're quite excited.
Doing some pure breeding is on our agenda since the breeder has three unrelated groups and keeps chicks separated, according to groups. We lucked out and caught him at a time when he's kinda overstocked in birds, got a good deal, may need a couple more.
Will get pics today.

We've never has marans how's their temperament, these have been sooooo quiet since we've gotten them home, they get a short time of pet time before they goto the farm. Bailey my youngest likes to make sure chicks get some lovin. First chicks we've bought in, in a while. I couldn't resist, been wanting for awhile. Love Marans dark egg color

Hello all! We hatched quite a few eggs from our Marans this spring are growing out chicks and juveniles in several colors including blue and splash. There's a chance some of the 12 week old pullets may end up being Birchen (we had some blue males start getting silver at 11 weeks) but so far they look like blues and splashes.

The little blues to the right on the second pic were hatched by a 5 month old black copper broody who has done an excellent job her first time.
We have quite a few blue coppers and black coppers too but I'll save those for their respective threads
1f642.png

We have 11 splash eggs on day 18 today as well! It's a busy and fun time around here!

Hello all! I am working on getting better pics of my new babies, but right now my avatar is the best I have, of my favorite. I suspect that is a roo based on my limited experience (I'm very new to chicken keeping and they were straight run from the breeder) but any critiques or suggestions for better angles are welcome. I hope he is up to snuff because he is a gentle giant compared to the rest of my tiny terrors ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom