Black bresse vs White bresse?

jasmer

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
Hey, I'd been thinking about Bresse chickens since I first started reading about them here months ago, and when I looked into the price they were outrageously expensive. It seemed to me that Greenfire Farms was charging a couple hundred bucks per chick, or was that for a certain number of chicks?

At any rate, I checked their prices today and I think that's something we can do. What is the difference between black bresse and white bresse? The black are going for $99 per unsexed chick, the white for $50 per unsexed chick. I vaguely recall white being the ones I wanted to buy, but I can't seem to remember why lol. Why are the blacks more expensive than the whites?

There is not much lately on American Bresse these days, so I decided to respond to this old thread. I was lucky to buy some White Bresse eggs on ebay directly from Greenfire Farms in 2013. Hatched 6 hens and 2 roosters, as of today still have a roo and 4 hens. They are all originals from Greenfire eggs. I recently hatched some pure Bresse and some Colored Dorking hens & Bresse roo cross, the cross shurly shows hybrid wigor, they are growing into large birds all white but their legs are white not blue and some has 5 toes after Dorking mothers. I am going to butcher some crossbred roosters soon, hoping for good Thangsgiving feast . Will keep all pure bresse hens and roosters for now for future line breeding.

Generally speaking after 2 years of keeping American White Bresse pure Greenfire line here are my thoughts. Easy going birds, rather tame not timid, not flighty, healthy and vigorous , inspite white color they are savvy with predators, I lost several Dorkings and Orps but not one Bresse to coons.
Good layers of creme or light beige large eggs, rather not broody, I estimate they lay about 250 eggs a year. Anyway they lay better and their eggs are larger than my Colored Dorkings eggs.

If their meat proves to stand out better than Dorkings meat which are much better meat birds than any of "dual purpose" American breeds I ever kept, I am going to keep Bresse exclusively as dual purpose breed, and drop Dorkings due to their excessive broodiness which could be an advantage for some chicken keepers, but I do not care much for broody hens.

I have tas
Black bresse are more expensive because they are extremely rare. Excellent meat birds #1 meat bird in the world. They also lay around 265 eggs per year

I tasted both White and Blue Bresse, but not yet Black. I refer White because it is much larger bird.
Here is the link relate to White Bresse vs Dorking taste comparision. I only raise White Bresse now, but will sure to try Black if can find locally.

https://antifragilechicken.wordpres...hickens-or-just-the-best-moms/comment-page-1/

I just ordered 25 white bresse from bresse farms for the week of oct 23rd..... I am excited. I had to promise to put my incubator away till they are big enough to go outside.

I know this is an old thread, but just curious the taste between Bresse vs. Silver Grey Dorking. Have anyone tried the taste test between the 2 breeds?

I would also know which taste better.
To the people who have processed them both, which had more breast meat? We are big on it in my home! :drool
I was thinking about crossing Dorkings roo over some CX. But after this thread, I'll wait to make a decision.

My babies just arrived!
20181108_080636.jpg

I was looking into the after hearing how great they are. I don't think there is a difference between the black and white except color. Price is probably more since they are less common. I thought about getting some, it would definitely be a way to be able to make money on chicks at least while there is so much buzz about them.

They come in blue and gray also.

After looking into it and seeing the prices people want because they are rare in the states, I'm going to go a different route. Plus there are so many people selling "Bresse" hatching eggs and chicks on auction sites for a TON of money that I have no way of knowing if they really are what they say they are. I'm not trusting of online sales, unless by reputable sites/sellers.

Back
Top Bottom