Black bresse vs White bresse?

jasmer

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
Hey, I'd been thinking about Bresse chickens since I first started reading about them here months ago, and when I looked into the price they were outrageously expensive. It seemed to me that Greenfire Farms was charging a couple hundred bucks per chick, or was that for a certain number of chicks?

At any rate, I checked their prices today and I think that's something we can do. What is the difference between black bresse and white bresse? The black are going for $99 per unsexed chick, the white for $50 per unsexed chick. I vaguely recall white being the ones I wanted to buy, but I can't seem to remember why lol. Why are the blacks more expensive than the whites?

I was looking into the after hearing how great they are. I don't think there is a difference between the black and white except color. Price is probably more since they are less common. I thought about getting some, it would definitely be a way to be able to make money on chicks at least while there is so much buzz about them.

They come in blue and gray also.

After looking into it and seeing the prices people want because they are rare in the states, I'm going to go a different route. Plus there are so many people selling "Bresse" hatching eggs and chicks on auction sites for a TON of money that I have no way of knowing if they really are what they say they are. I'm not trusting of online sales, unless by reputable sites/sellers.

I've heard on here a few times that Greenfire Farms is selling the real deal, got them right out of France somehow, general consensus seems to be that Greenfire Farms is selling legit Bresse chickens. I'm very curious because there's so much debate over whether their flavor and texture is influenced by genetics or traditional free ranging and finishing style. I'd wanted to get ahold of a few to do a blind taste test both ways (along with another meat breed done both ways) and see which is the winner. :)

I still might wait. Those Jersey Giants and Dorkings keep calling my name, and this time next year the price of Bresse chicks from Greenfire Farms will probably be even lower. If this board is anything to go by, they're growing rapidly in popularity.

I don't want to sell chicks or chickens, I just want to find a great table bird for ourselves and if these guys are all they're cracked up to be, they just might be it. Might try some crosses with them, too. One of the big selling points for me was I read somewhere that seemed to emphasize that these chickens love to eat grasses and such, which might make them better candidates for silage feed.

Greenfire only has black and white, I saw a picture of the blues and I gotta say, we wants the precious. If I can get hold of blue or those lovely brown colorful ones (partridge is it?) I'll do cartwheels, they're absolutely lovely.

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen them on Greenfire's site. But, whew, $100 for a chick and unsexed, what if you ended up with all males. Ack!! I know unlikely but still possible.
I've seen people selling on ebay too and anyone can put a pic up of some bresse chickens, even though they don't have any. Too many unscrupulous people out there.

Hey, I'd been thinking about Bresse chickens since I first started reading about them here months ago, and when I looked into the price they were outrageously expensive. It seemed to me that Greenfire Farms was charging a couple hundred bucks per chick, or was that for a certain number of chicks?

At any rate, I checked their prices today and I think that's something we can do. What is the difference between black bresse and white bresse? The black are going for $99 per unsexed chick, the white for $50 per unsexed chick. I vaguely recall white being the ones I wanted to buy, but I can't seem to remember why lol. Why are the blacks more expensive than the whites?

Lot of folks like a white feathered bird for the table, it's more forgiving in the plucking dept.... some folks get weirded out by black pinfeathers and pigment in the follicles

I believe you are mistaken, rather the whites are $99 per chick.
However you can get the eggs on the Bay, and Greenfire happens to sell there on occasion.
I have 53 in my Bator as we speak.
The Bresse are strictly a niche Market.
There is a regiment in the feeding process.
From pasture to a diet of Dairy.
Also they are generally a capon.
Unlike the Cornish X which takes 6-8 weeks from start to finish.
American Bresse finished from start to finish is over 6 months.
I am in the beginning of my test and would hope to see this thread expand into more details on the cost of raising.

I believe you are mistaken, rather the whites are $99 per chick.
However you can get the eggs on the Bay, and Greenfire happens to sell there on occasion.
I have 53 in my Bator as we speak.
The Bresse are strictly a niche Market.
There is a regiment in the feeding process.
From pasture to a diet of Dairy.
Also they are generally a capon.
Unlike the Cornish X which takes 6-8 weeks from start to finish.
American Bresse finished from start to finish is over 6 months.
I am in the beginning of my test and would hope to see this thread expand into more details on the cost of raising.
You were right, the chick prices have changed.
The whites were 99 the last time I checked.
For some reason the Blacks are more now.
However, the Whites are what are mainly used for meat production.

Thanks. I read a review last night of high scale chickens. Some dude bought several of these types of chickens, the high end restaurant kind, and breaded came out on top by far. We are going to raise Jersey giants and they take 6 to 9 months to grow as well. We can free range and I wanted to try both the traditional finish and not doing it on two of all our meat birds to see what difference it makes. I heard breaded genetics play a huge role in their flavor, I wanted to see how big. We aren't planning n selling them. Just finding a tasty meat bird to grow ourselves and they caught our eye. Another poster here mentioned considering breeding his breaded to Cornish or rock if I renew we correctly. I might hold out until I hear how that went.

Thanks. I read a review last night of high scale chickens. Some dude bought several of these types of chickens, the high end restaurant kind, and bresse came out on top by far. We are going to raise Jersey giants and they take 6 to 9 months to grow as well. We can free range and I wanted to try both the traditional finish and not doing it on two of all our meat birds to see what difference it makes. I heard bresse genetics play a huge role in their flavor, I wanted to see how big. We aren't planning n selling them. Just finding a tasty meat bird to grow ourselves and they caught our eye. Another poster here mentioned considering breeding his bresse to Cornish or rock if I remember correctly. I might hold out until I hear how that went.

Last edited:
I have the Black Bresse and they are a great addition. I have not tried them as a meat bird yet but maybe soon. I would recommend them to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom