Black bresse vs White bresse?

The whites are quite meaty, lay a medium sized egg and are raised primarily for meat production. The blacks are a little less meaty (not by much) but lay a very large egg. The black ones seem to be like a "dual purpose" version of the Bresse. Many people use the black ones for meat, but if you want to have the "true" Poulet de Bresse, it is the white one raised in a very specific manner.

The whites are quite meaty, lay a medium sized egg and are raised primarily for meat production. The blacks are a little less meaty (not by much) but lay a very large egg. The black ones seem to be like a "dual purpose" version of the Bresse. Many people use the black ones for meat, but if you want to have the "true" Poulet de Bresse, it is the white one raised in a very specific manner.

This is true from our experience.

We have been raising both types for about a year. The blacks are smaller bodied, but still manage to lay a slightly larger egg than the whites. They are also more active and determined foragers/free-rangers, we need a net over their 8'tall breeding pen to keep them in, not so for the whites.

We have eaten some of both, and both were delicious, though I can't say that I personally noticed a difference, my husband is the gourmet, I'm more about good grub, and we didn't do a side-by-side comparison.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but just curious the taste between Bresse vs. Silver Grey Dorking. Have anyone tried the taste test between the 2 breeds?

Bresse farms has what you want , they have every color and great pricing. They have the first line to come into the USA , nice to deal with, beautiful birds ,

There is not much lately on American Bresse these days, so I decided to respond to this old thread. I was lucky to buy some White Bresse eggs on ebay directly from Greenfire Farms in 2013. Hatched 6 hens and 2 roosters, as of today still have a roo and 4 hens. They are all originals from Greenfire eggs. I recently hatched some pure Bresse and some Colored Dorking hens & Bresse roo cross, the cross shurly shows hybrid wigor, they are growing into large birds all white but their legs are white not blue and some has 5 toes after Dorking mothers. I am going to butcher some crossbred roosters soon, hoping for good Thangsgiving feast . Will keep all pure bresse hens and roosters for now for future line breeding.

Generally speaking after 2 years of keeping American White Bresse pure Greenfire line here are my thoughts. Easy going birds, rather tame not timid, not flighty, healthy and vigorous , inspite white color they are savvy with predators, I lost several Dorkings and Orps but not one Bresse to coons.
Good layers of creme or light beige large eggs, rather not broody, I estimate they lay about 250 eggs a year. Anyway they lay better and their eggs are larger than my Colored Dorkings eggs.

If their meat proves to stand out better than Dorkings meat which are much better meat birds than any of "dual purpose" American breeds I ever kept, I am going to keep Bresse exclusively as dual purpose breed, and drop Dorkings due to their excessive broodiness which could be an advantage for some chicken keepers, but I do not care much for broody hens.

There is not much lately on American Bresse these days, so I decided to respond to this old thread. I was lucky to buy some White Bresse eggs on ebay directly from Greenfire Farms in 2013. Hatched 6 hens and 2 roosters, as of today still have a roo and 4 hens. They are all originals from Greenfire eggs. I recently hatched some pure Bresse and some Colored Dorking hens & Bresse roo cross, the cross shurly shows hybrid wigor, they are growing into large birds all white but their legs are white not blue and some has 5 toes after Dorking mothers. I am going to butcher some crossbred roosters soon, hoping for good Thangsgiving feast . Will keep all pure bresse hens and roosters for now for future line breeding.

Generally speaking after 2 years of keeping American White Bresse pure Greenfire line here are my thoughts. Easy going birds, rather tame not timid, not flighty, healthy and vigorous , inspite white color they are savvy with predators, I lost several Dorkings and Orps but not one Bresse to coons.
Good layers of creme or light beige large eggs, rather not broody, I estimate they lay about 250 eggs a year. Anyway they lay better and their eggs are larger than my Colored Dorkings eggs.

If their meat proves to stand out better than Dorkings meat which are much better meat birds than any of "dual purpose" American breeds I ever kept, I am going to keep Bresse exclusively as dual purpose breed, and drop Dorkings due to their excessive broodiness which could be an advantage for some chicken keepers, but I do not care much for broody hens.
I am glad you have both breeds. Have to done the taste test?

yes, im curious about the taste...

is the consensus that the bresse are delicious but not noticeably so?

is the hype real?

yes, im curious about the taste...

is the consensus that the bresse are delicious but not noticeably so?

is the hype real?

Don't forget ... another factor relate to Bresse is fat them up few weeks at the end. I have not seen too many Bresse around here. Otherwise, I just purchased a few to see the difference.

What do you mean by "breaded" chicken? I've only heard the term used in the kitchen while preparing chicken strips (ie. dipping in a flour coating) Certainly, that's not what you mean here but could you please clarify?

Thanks,

Hey, I'd been thinking about Bresse chickens since I first started reading about them here months ago, and when I looked into the price they were outrageously expensive. It seemed to me that Greenfire Farms was charging a couple hundred bucks per chick, or was that for a certain number of chicks?

At any rate, I checked their prices today and I think that's something we can do. What is the difference between black bresse and white bresse? The black are going for $99 per unsexed chick, the white for $50 per unsexed chick. I vaguely recall white being the ones I wanted to buy, but I can't seem to remember why lol. Why are the blacks more expensive than the whites?
Black bresse are more expensive because they are extremely rare. Excellent meat birds #1 meat bird in the world. They also lay around 265 eggs per year

Back
Top Bottom