Black Comb. Any advice?

cheepcheepnash

Chirping
Jul 16, 2020
Hi everyone!

My two year old Salmon Faverolles has a large portion of her comb that is black. I went out of town a week ago and she seemed normal. It's been hot here, but I had a friend make sure she had fresh water. When I returned, I noticed that her comb is black. I just returned so I haven't had a lot of time to observe her, but she seems to be active, eating, and drinking. When it's really hot in the middle of the day, she does seem to try to find a cool shady spot and rest.

Does anyone have any tips or advice? I am going to try to check for mites. She always has been a big drinker, and it has been very hot lately. I hope that she doesn't have any heart or liver problems.

Thank you!
IMG_1890.jpg

@azygous @Eggcessive maybe they can help. I hope your girl is ok. When it is really hot I have a small dog/cat gravity waterer that I fill with water and freeze. It lasts them a good 6-7 hours on a really hot day. I also add electrolytes once a week, but only when it's really hot out. Could it be a peck wound?

I noticed that her comb is black.
Has it always been flopped like that? Is the dark spot warm, hot, cool or the same in comparison to the red part?

When you feel that black spot is it smooth like maybe a wart (or melanoma) Or is it a hint rough like a scab perhaps? looks like little scratches (or progression) between the tips near the base.

I found lots of black comb information. I presume we can rule out frost bite by your description.

It doesn't look like the lack of oxygen type causing this. The rest of her comb is bright red and looks like circulation may be fine. And that's not typical looking for fowl pox. Has your area been hit by AI?

Here is an article to review (though it sounds like you may have already found out the basic information on possible causes)...

https://coopeduplife.com/common-chicken-comb-problems/

Does she have flock mates?

What is her standard feed routine including treats and supplements? Heart and live problems are mostly genetic but they can be influenced by our feed routines, so it's worth discussing.

:fl

Thank you all so very much! I am so grateful for this community and for all of your kindness!

I went over and looked some more with your comments and EggSighted4Life's great questions in mind. She has three flock mates and they are all super docile (a silkie, cochin, and an orpington). We haven't had any reported AI cases near us, but there have been some about 80 miles away. I recently ran out of their normal feed and all the store had near me was scratch, so they've been eating that for a couple of days until I can get their regular feed tomorrow.

With further inspection, I do think it is a sever injury like azygous mentioned. I'm so relieved that it may not be life-threatening! I've put a picture here.

IMG_1896.jpg
IMG_1897.jpg

Chicken combs and feet are designed to fall off when severely injured. Usually it's front bite that causes tissue injury so severe to do this, but other freak accidents can also damage extremities severely enough that the chicken's immune system walls them off, cuts off blood circulation so there's no risk of blood poisoning from infection, and it dries up, turns black and falls off.

Some chickens have lost entire feet to severe tissue damage following frostbite. I have two roosters who have been through two episodes of frostbite and loss of ther comb tips, reducing the height of their once magnificent combs.

It is not life threatening. Even chickens who lose both feet survive just fine.

Back
Top Bottom