Black Copper Maran Bantams

I am also working to create a Maran bantam. My birds are the result of a smaller BC Maran standard bred to my run of the mill bantams. I have then taken those females and bred them to a black bantam Langshan rooster. One of the daughters lays a brown egg but no where close to what you would like to see in this breed. The size is probably larger from what a proposed standard would look for, but its a beginning. I am hatching from this pullet and have nice feathering on the legs, straight combs, good vigor but white earlobes(the results of the Rosecomb bantams in the ancestry of the original cross).. I found that with the standard Maran, the fertility was not that high, but when a male was crossed to other non Maran, the fertility was close to 100%. That leads me to believe the fertility problems lies in the Maran females and not the males. As with any new breed, it takes many years to get a decent bantam to match what the standard bird looks like. I raise show Rosecombs and any color but black take 5+years to get a decent color to match what the standard calls for.

I just lucked up on this beauty

I just lucked up on this beauty
Unless that is poop on the bird's wattle, something is wrong here. Marans should never have white on any part of the head's skin. I think this bird is a cross and has foreign blood in it. The technicalities of the Black Copper color are wrong and the breed type ( bird's silhouette ) is not correct. Basically, all it has going for it is size and basic color genes to make a BCM correctly with wise breeding ( see below). That said, if you take it and breed it to full-blooded BCM hen ..and then take the best males and breed them back to that same BCM hen for 3 generations you might end up with something.
It would read like this:
1. This cock to top quality BCM Bantam Hen. Female bird must have extremely correct color and type. Pay top dollar for her as a grown hen or started pullet whose type is recognizeably set. Color comes from the male and you will be doubling back on the female so everything she has to offer is doubly important. Type comes from the female and if she is very good in this, it will be quite a bonus for you.
2. Best son back to the mother.
3. Best son back to the hen in @1.
4. Best son back to the hen in @1.
By now you should have some real nice looking BCM Bantams. And know enough about the breed/variety to know how to proceed from here.
Best,
Karen
Former Director of Archives , Marans of America Club

Last edited:
I have a question for everyone out there. Has anyone ever heard of a Black Copper Maran Bantam chicken breed ? I ask this because I have been working on now for just under a year to produce a Black Copper Maran Bantam breed and I think I may have found sucess. I won't go into details of which breeds i've mixed but I can tell you one of them was a Black Copper Maran. I am now breeding my adults to see if their gens will be passed down to their offsrping. If they are and the new offspring produce the same reddish brown eggs I was thinking of selling chicks, but that won't be for some time. But let me get back to why I am posting this question...... Has anyone ever heard of a Black Copper Maran Bantam chicken breed ?
hey... i have a great Copper Maran Bantam - mix w/ Mille Fleur D'uccle. The copper maran is dominant, so the hen and rooster look just like regular feather legged copper maran but small

Do you have pictures?
There is many breeders working on Bantam Marans but only place I've seen them is on FB.
I wasnt even working on having bantams, it just happened. Here's the little roo and hen (they were born in Aug 2022).. he looks just like his dad but MUCH smaller . you can see how dominant the Maran is over d'Uccle . feathered legs too like dad (Black Copper Maran), so that's a plus using 2 feather legged parents . Female also has great copper maran form i think.
0-1.jpg
0-2.jpg

Last edited:
I am also working to create a Maran bantam. My birds are the result of a smaller BC Maran standard bred to my run of the mill bantams. I have then taken those females and bred them to a black bantam Langshan rooster. One of the daughters lays a brown egg but no where close to what you would like to see in this breed. The size is probably larger from what a proposed standard would look for, but its a beginning. I am hatching from this pullet and have nice feathering on the legs, straight combs, good vigor but white earlobes(the results of the Rosecomb bantams in the ancestry of the original cross).. I found that with the standard Maran, the fertility was not that high, but when a male was crossed to other non Maran, the fertility was close to 100%. That leads me to believe the fertility problems lies in the Maran females and not the males. As with any new breed, it takes many years to get a decent bantam to match what the standard bird looks like. I raise show Rosecombs and any color but black take 5+years to get a decent color to match what the standard calls for.
Hi
if you're still into Maran bantams check out my post . My Maran rooster mated with Mille Fluer d'uccle and created these babies . Very dominant Maran
0-2-jpg.3412593
0-1-jpg.3412565

Back
Top Bottom