Black Copper Marans

in all honesty my opinion is that they have good type and the roosters have good color but the hens hackle coloring could be improved.

Hi All,

I am reducing the size of my Black Copper Marans flocks. I have four breeding pens and a total of 23 hens ranging in age from 1.0 to 2.0 years of age. I am keeping 16 hens for 2012 breeding program. So I have 7 hens for sale. I also have three or four very nice BCM Cockerels. Hens are $60 each and cockerels are $25. Please contact me off post for more information.

Thanks so much,

Debi
Heaven Sent Ranch
http://www.heavensentranch.com

Quote:
sorry it took so long, I could only get one half way decent pic, would just not cooperate
barnie.gif
she has the feathers down to the outer toe.
89513_100_0806.jpg

Last edited:
She looks like a BCM to me. She has the body, leg feathering and head. She is lacking black pigment unfortunately. The lack of black pigment causes the copper in the hackle to not only be too light, almost straw colored and for it to spread through out the breast and wing. She is what is known as "Mossy". She will still lay nice eggs but isn't a candidate for breeding.

Shes a very nice lady ( the lady in yucipa) Its just ALL the chicks i've gotten from her are all mized breed, and not what she said they are. I don't mind its just I wish i'd known what I was REALLY getting. bit I still like purchasing from her to see her set up etc. Do you know if she collects her eggs and just incubates them all together?

There are a few good Marans breeders down South, in or near your area. You can post a request on "California Chickens" which is a Yahoo site. Deb's Birds down in San Diego is a good source for information. Deb purchased eggs from me a couple of months ago. She also has a classified page on her site. You could try looking there for pure breed birds.

Debi

Quote:
I realy dont know? I didnt get the birds for breeding, so I can see where that would be important to those who want to, Pennie the little pullet was one of 3 she had left at the time. So as far as confirmation, straw hackles and that...I'm not up on that, sorry guys, got her for the dark eggs. Oops I should mention I got 3 pullets from her for $10 and that fit my budget. LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom