Black hen with "gold lacing"?

Yes Zeely! I think that's what she was. I just Googled some pics of them. Now I feel like an idgit. I was looking at pics of my friend's regular Cornishes the other day & thought "hey, they kind of look like Frannie." Never thought of looking for pics of other colors. Thank you so much!

Now, why did just the link come up & not the pic? I've posted pics before to the forum w/o a problem.

Yes Zeely! I think that's what she was. I just Googled some pics of them. Now I feel like an idgit. I was looking at pics of my friend's regular Cornishes the other day & thought "hey, they kind of look like Frannie." Never thought of looking for pics of other colors. Thank you so much!

Now, why did just the link come up & not the pic? I've posted pics before to the forum w/o a problem.

Here you can copy and paste if the image is already uploaded here. Read this article on posting pics... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/inserting-pics-in-on-the-new-byc

Last edited:
Lothiriel, thanks for the link for the pics! I'm leaning towards dark Cornish. Her personality matches the Cornish more, except the "avoiding people" thing. She never avoided us. She wasn't nearly as heavily bodied as a Barnvelder. That pic of her is from when she was about 6 months old, her legs were thicker when she died. Plus as already said, I don't think McMurray carries them. I Googled pics of the Barnvelders, they're really close to her, but they're too heavy looking & in the pics I found their beaks all looked too short.

Thank you again to everyone for your help!

black sex link. your title "black chicken with gold lacing". It's a black sex link. I had one and she disappeared 2 weeks ago and never came back. No body. Sad. I want more. They are great birds. She was my first bird, but she was well-behaved, like the rest of the birds ;)

Hi, I'll get a pic up soon, but right now I'm waiting to get my computer back from the geek squad, I'm doing this from my phone. This is something I've been trying to figure out for a while, so I'm hoping for some help in the mean time.
About 2 years ago I bought 3 3 month old hens from a farmer who placed a large order through McMurrary. I got a Golden Comet (red sex link), Buff Orpington & what I was told was a Speckled Sussex. The man had ordered Ameracaunas & got sent about 50 of these "Sussexes" instead. At the time her body was all black & her head was yellow. As time went on it became obvious she wasn't a SS. She was a slender girl, about 5-6lbs. Short single comb, very yellow legs & beak, I think she had white skin. She had all black feathers, but they had like a gold lacing at the ends. Kind of like a GLW, but in reverse. She laid eggs (starting at about 7 months) that were on the smaller side, very round with almost no point, a very light brown color & very glossy. She also had an awesome personality! She was my "helper" chicken. She was super fast & a great flier. A predator some how got her May of last year & I'd love to find out what she was & get more. I know she would have been something that McMurrary carried 2 years ago. I asked the farmer that I got her from, but he sold them all before they grew up, he just thought they were SS. I don't think she was a mix because he had a bunch of them that all looked exactly the same when I got her. Does anyone have any ideas? Any input is greatly appreciated!

I agree she looks like a dark cornish. I'm glad you found your bird! Hopefully if you order again, there will be another friendly one for you.

Lothiriel, thanks for the link for the pics! I'm leaning towards dark Cornish. Her personality matches the Cornish more, except the "avoiding people" thing. She never avoided us. She wasn't nearly as heavily bodied as a Barnvelder. That pic of her is from when she was about 6 months old, her legs were thicker when she died. Plus as already said, I don't think McMurray carries them. I Googled pics of the Barnvelders, they're really close to her, but they're too heavy looking & in the pics I found their beaks all looked too short.
Thank you again to everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom