Black hen with "gold lacing"?

Definitely not a SS. This is what those look like:
SpecSussexHen.JPEG

The description you gave does indeed remind me of Black Sexlink... Here's a few of mine:
3796_img_0269.jpg

Juliette2.jpg

3796_estelle.jpg

3796_minnie.jpg

3796_img_0160.jpg

Did she look similar to any of them??

this is what I meant. I had a black sex link before. she disappeared on my last bird that disappeared, which was back about 3-4 months ago.

hdowden, I'll get a pic up in a few hours. My fiance is supposed to be picking up my computer on his was home. I know it wasn't an Americana or an EE, she didn't resemble one in the slightest. That's what the guy ordered, but he got sent a bunch of these birds that he thought were SS. She may have been some sort of sex link, but she didn't have half the body mass my other sex links had. I also think the only black sex links McMurrary carries is Black Stars, the pics that I've seen of them don't really look like my Frannie did. But I'll get a pic or 2 up asap!

Lothiriel, your birds are so pretty! I wish I could say Frannie looked like them, but not really. She didn't have any all brown/red feathers. Her's were black w/ that gold "lacing", she did have all black feathers on her head. Her comb & waddles were much smaller too & her legs were much more yellow. I have a SS now, a real one, lol. I knew shortly after getting Frannie she wasn't a SS, I just can't figure out what the heck she was, lol! I'll have a pic up soon!
Thanks to both of you for your input!

My Black Sex Link does not have brown or red feathers at all. it is a black sex link. they have the gold on them. Unfortunately, my Black Sex Link wasn't available to photograph by the time I had the camera. But she did not lay green eggs at all like my EE who is golden head, black and brown. Black sex link does not have brown or red coloring though, you're right about that.

93fe7299_Frannie1.jpeg

this is not gold lacing. this is brown. and this is a cornish bird.

I understand that your camera didn't fully get the right colors on here. The cam does that to two of my birds even.

This is a dark lace cornish. I agree with Zeely now. But the cornish birds do not have gold on them. Or red. That is brown.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input. I am currently searching for some more Dark Cornishes or hatching eggs. No luck yet. :( I knew she wasn't a GLW, I have some SLW, but saying she was colored like one in reverse was the best way I could think of at the time to describe her. & yes, the camera I used to take that pic didn't like my chickens. It made the coloring on all of them look weird. I have pics of a BO where she looks more old straw colored than that beautiful buff color.

If you are willing to go to a hatchery, you can get just a few sexed pullets from Meyer. You may check out the "breeds & genetics" thread as well and see if there is a Dark Cornish thread with a breeder near you.

Good luck!!

There's a gentalman on here who'll be having an auction for hatching eggs, I'm going to keep my eyes open for that, but I'll check Meyer too. I normally don't order from hatcheries b/c you have to order so many. I understand why you have to order so many, I just don't need that many, lol. I'll check the breeds & genetics thing too for someone local. I have an ad on CL & a post on a local yahoo chicken group looking for them, but nothing so far. :( Thanks again for all the help.

Thank you so very much. My sister-in-law gave me two and she didn't know what they were.......they look just like these. I am very new to the chicken world and appreciate all the advice that I can get. Good luck with yours and may God Bless you is my every prayer.

Back
Top Bottom