Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics
The true Black Jersey Gia nts lay a light creamy colored egg Ihaven't to date got no brown eggs out of any of my pullets . I had a few darker ones with tiny brown specks but no brown eggs like a Road Island Red lays

Ok I have been looking for silkies to breed but lately I have been thinking about these but I haven't been able to think what one to get I am still leaning torwards silkies since they are so cute and great Broodys so I am here to ask a few questions about the breed are they good Broodys and how large are they actually are they the size of turkeys or smaller cause I don't want a huge bird that isn't goi g to fit in my breeding pen

So glad I found this thread! My husband and I are wanting to add a jersey giant to our new 'flock'. I have a 1 year old Australorp hen named rooster Cogburn and then 2 one week old chicks (1 black sex link, 1 buff orpington) that I got the other day. I want a pullet,my husband wants a cockeral. Im not opposed to the cockeral because i like the aspect of a big ol protector for the girls. But I'm worried that i don't have enough hens to keep a rooster happy and i don't want him to hurt my ladies.Thoughts? Also, how so the hen and rooster personalities differ? Any advice is more than welcome!!!!

Black Jersey Giants are also one of my favorite breeds. I currently incubated eggs. 5 of the chickens hatched. A black Jersey Giant hatched. I don't know what all the breeds are. I am going to show it in the summer time for 4-H.

Our first
So glad I found this thread! My husband and I are wanting to add a jersey giant to our new 'flock'. I have a 1 year old Australorp hen named rooster Cogburn and then 2 one week old chicks (1 black sex link, 1 buff orpington) that I got the other day. I want a pullet,my husband wants a cockeral. Im not opposed to the cockeral because i like the aspect of a big ol protector for the girls. But I'm worried that i don't have enough hens to keep a rooster happy and i don't want him to hurt my ladies.Thoughts? Also, how so the hen and rooster personalities differ? Any advice is more than welcome!!!!
our first hen lived to be 9 years old. She laid very reliably until the last year. She was an excellent mother, not super broody, but when she wanted chicks she did awesome. We live in the cold and didn't supplement heat very often, just when super cold. So very hardy. 2 years ago we got 2 Roos and a hen. Sold one roo and the pair hatched out 3 more hens. We handled the Roo daily and kids showed him at the fair the first year, but he will still give you the stink eye when you grab a hen. He is very protective of the flock, which I like! But he doesn't attack us, I think he would if we pestered him much. If he charges we just stick out a foot and wave our arms, show him we are bigger. He is huge. And he broke almost all his toes the first year he was aggressive with the hen, tore up her back. Now though with the toes gone her feathers are back. Probably could have clipped his nails?? Not sure why he lost toes We have two other different roosters with him, one a banty. He doesn't do any major fighting. Mostly just crowing competitions and he helped momma look after the chicks. They would all huddle together at night. So cute. I really like them for egg laying and they are big enough to eat if we ever have excess. A bunch of eggs are set to hatch this Saturday!!:). We also have brahma hens and a polish and americaunas with him and he hasn't hurt them. Just the giant jersey hen lost some feathers the first year

Last edited:
Does anyone have any pictures of their chicks after starting to feather in? I was sold some BJG, was really excited to get them, and they started feathering in and they're not feathering purely black. They have red/gold leakage, and it's pretty bad. I'm pretty sour about it, considering the seller made a big deal about being NPIP and selling only SQ birds and how their birds have won awards, yada yada yada. This is what mine look like right now :

They insist that their birds didn't get mixed with any of their other breeds, and they've made no move to try to fix the issue. Ugh. I'm so tired of getting burned on chicks!!! :mad:

We just got our first batch of black giants. So we know nothing about them could you give me some info please. Like how long do they take to mature, how many eggs do they usually lay? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom