Black poop that looks like tar

Chukarbuds

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
Ive searched for over a half hr.. here looking for posts of black poop, but cannot find any posts. wormed my chickens over 1 month ago. every one doing great. The last 2 weeks, my one hen has been leaving black poop. Little mooshy. The color of tar. She's eating normal, acting normal. Any one familiar with this. Any links that might be helpful? Been searching at pics the last 2 days. No luck.

Ive searched for over a half hr.. here looking for posts of black poop, but cannot find any posts. wormed my chickens over 1 month ago. every one doing great. The last 2 weeks, my one hen has been leaving black poop. Little mooshy. The color of tar. She's eating normal, acting normal. Any one familiar with this. Any links that might be helpful? Been searching at pics the last 2 days. No luck.

Here are some examples: http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

When you wormed your birds, were there evidence of worms, and what did you worm them with?

Quote: Thank you for the pics. Yes I have viewed them already.The pics do not seem to resemble my girls :(

I use Ivermectin 1%, as I usually do. Repeat evry 3 months. Im planning on purchasing Flubendazole here soon. I wormed them a month ago. There were no evidence of bugs or worms, just my routine. Always use DE in and outside the coop , pen etc. Im going to add two pics. One of the hens poo itself and another of her poo next to the other normal chickens poo. Thank you for replying..Im concerned and this is new to me. (BLK POO)

Thank you for the pics. Yes I have viewed them already.The pics do not seem to resemble my girls :(

I use Ivermectin 1%, as I usually do. Repeat evry 3 months. Im planning on purchasing Flubendazole here soon. I wormed them a month ago. There were no evidence of bugs or worms, just my routine. Always use DE in and outside the coop , pen etc. Im going to add two pics. One of the hens poo itself and another of her poo next to the other normal chickens poo. Thank you for replying..Im concerned and this is new to me. (BLK POO)

Ivermectin only kills a couple types of worms. DE won't do anything for worms. Albendazole which is the content of Valbazen is a far better wormer. It kills them all and is safe at .5 cc for standards and .25 cc for Bantams. I used Wormazole and a few others over the years, but Valbazen is carried in most feed stores, so I don't recommend the ones I buy out of convenience for others. Dark droppings and a variety of colors are seen with birds that range. It wouldn't hurt to run 2 tsp of Corid 9.6% per gallon of water for 5 days as a treatment. Give a break for a couple days with vitamins,electrolytes, Probios in the water. Then worm them with Valbazen, and do it again 10 days later.

An internal injury in the upper digestive tract, perhaps from swallowing something sharp like a nail, screw, piece of glass could possibly cause black tar poop which by the time it is excreted, is really coagulated old blood. Since she is eating and drinking normally, acting like a chicken should, I think it would be best to just observe her for now and look for the frequency she excretes the abnormal feces. More black tar poop may lead to more serious problems in the digestive tract. Hopefully she'll easily pass whatever it is without much internal injury...if that's what it is.

An internal injury in the upper digestive tract, perhaps from swallowing something sharp like a nail, screw, piece of glass could possibly cause black tar poop which by the time it is excreted, is really coagulated old blood. Since she is eating and drinking normally, acting like a chicken should, I think it would be best to just observe her for now and look for the frequency she excretes the abnormal feces. More black tar poop may lead to more serious problems in the digestive tract. Hopefully she'll easily pass whatever it is without much internal injury...if that's what it is.

There's a reminder. I bought top soil one year and there were numerous bits of plastic mixed in it. I was annoyed since it wasn't noticeable until it was dumped. I saw a few pieces of plastic in some chicken droppings. I never bought soil from that outfit ever again.

Quote: I use Ivermectin cause its all I have on hand at the time, this Spring. I dont have a clue what all these names of items are that you named, that i could/should use. Maybe one day, I can afford them? I work part time. My only income. HA! Ivercane kills all worms and is only $8 at Circle F. My father always used it for his and never had a problem. Thank you so much for the info. Im hoping others will read this and be able to use your information. I use DE in and around their coop, and on them for the insects, along in their dust bath. also awesome keeping the red army ants off my property, damaging all the plants and bushed I planted for my girls. Every one has their own opinion with DE. I like to stay as natural as I can. I wonder what people used back in the cowboy days?? :D

I use Ivermectin cause its all I have on hand at the time, this Spring. I dont have a clue what all these names of items are that you named, that i could/should use. Maybe one day, I can afford them? I work part time. My only income. HA! Ivercane kills all worms and is only $8 at Circle F. My father always used it for his and never had a problem. Thank you so much for the info. Im hoping others will read this and be able to use your information. I use DE in and around their coop, and on them for the insects, along in their dust bath. also awesome keeping the red army ants off my property, damaging all the plants and bushed I planted for my girls. Every one has their own opinion with DE. I like to stay as natural as I can. I wonder what people used back in the cowboy days?? :D

Well, if your birds stay healthy, then you may not have a variety of parasitic worms in the environment or strains Coccidiosis. I once knew a guy whose chickens had bloody stools. He asked me if worming with Lye could have done this!!! Yeah...unbelievably stupid. At least you won't kill them with Ivermectin, but I don't know what the withdrawal period is for it. Like I said, Valbazen is available in most feed stores, or online at places like Jeffers or QC Supply. I'm fortunate to not have those fire ants around where I live. I've met people who live out in the deserts of California and never have mites or intestinal worms to deal with.

Did you get a answer to your problem yet? I have the same problem. Just started today. What did you do? Is your problem fixed? Are your chicks ok? Please let me know ASAP. I have only 9 chickens but this being the first day I don't know which one is doing it. Black tar poop, just like what you described. Please help. My chickens are free ranged most the time and sometimes kept in an fenced in enclosure. :(

Back
Top Bottom