Black poo

UltimateElektra

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2023
My hen that is on the mend (i hope, the last few days have been rough). She is eating, alert, head twitch has stopped 90%.

But she has had 2 very unusual (i feel concerning poops). Black, and tar looking. One was this morning (pictured) and one was about an hour ago. All poop in between was small but quite normal looking.

I will keep watching her closely, but im reading this could be internal bleeding? Could it be anything else?

Attachments

• 20231117_081954.jpg
    20231117_081954.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 69

My hen that is on the mend (i hope, the last few days have been rough). She is eating, alert, head twitch has stopped 90%.

But she has had 2 very unusual (i feel concerning poops). Black, and tar looking. One was this morning (pictured) and one was about an hour ago. All poop in between was small but quite normal looking.

I will keep watching her closely, but im reading this could be internal bleeding? Could it be anything else?
You have an ongoing 3 page thread (linked below)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lice-help-🤢.1604306/page-3

Update.

We stopped the amoxicillin after only 3 doses.

Gave her 2 small doses of selenium and have been giving vit b daily. the head movements stopped, and she is more stable on her feet. She is eating and drinking on her own. Though i noticed she isnt eating a ton and is still very thin.

Her poo is mostly normal looking, still small and has a slight green tint and some dark runny brown poos.

I dont see anymore lice on her but im gonna really check her well tomorrow.

why would she have her mouth open like this, i dont see anything in her mouth or throat?

She is still only eating small amounts. Seems more like herself except the eating.

Noticed today her comb is a little pale and dry looking. Worms maybe?

Attachments

• 20231123_094346.jpg
    20231123_094346.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 2
On your Other Thread, you were going to start her on Amoxicillin, did you give her a full 7-10 day course (2X a day)?

Is her crop emptying?

Selenium is not what I would give. I would have given Vitamin E and B-Complex as suggested in your Other Thread.

In your Other Thread, you mentioned she had Lice. Did you treat her for them?

Does she seem to have distressed breathing or is she just keeping her mouth open all the time?

Is her crop emptying?

I'd work on getting her hydrated, then see if she will eat her normal feed.

On your Other Thread, you were going to start her on Amoxicillin, did you give her a full 7-10 day course (2X a day)?

Is her crop emptying?

Selenium is not what I would give. I would have given Vitamin E and B-Complex as suggested in your Other Thread.

In your Other Thread, you mentioned she had Lice. Did you treat her for them?

Does she seem to have distressed breathing or is she just keeping her mouth open all the time?

Is her crop emptying?

I'd work on getting her hydrated, then see if she will eat her normal feed.
I meant to put this on that other thread....🤦‍♀️

Lice were treated day 1. Checked her this am again and didnt see any.

It was also suggested on the other thread to give selenium to help absorb the vit b. Was also told this by a vet group im in.

Her crop is emptying. She is eating normal pellets just fine. She just isnt eating as much as she normally does, but when she eats her crop does feel full just small. She is still super skinny 😕

Seems to be drinking fine too.

Her breathing isnt distressed. And her mouth isnt open all the time. Just noticed her doing it and ive never seen any of my other chickens stay with their mouth open for like 30 secs to a minute.

Back
Top Bottom