Black sex link male or female

I thought males had earlier comb and waddle development and smaller tails and thick legs thats what made me think it was a rooster are u sure shes a hen

I thought males had earlier comb and waddle development and smaller tails and thick legs thats what made me think it was a rooster are u sure shes a hen
No, I'm not. But if it is a cockerel then it can't be a Black sex-link since their cockerels are barred. Could you get some better picture of it standing side ways?(including tail?) Also earlier comb/waddle development is a usually sign of cockerels but Black sexlinks are bred to be sexable by color as soon as they are hatched.

Here are some more pictures

Ive never had chickens before but it really looks like a boy to me it was suppose to be a girl a black sex link there was no white spot on her head when i got her she was 3 days old when i bought her along with my other ones

Last edited:
I believe it is a rooster and not a Black Sexlink, because, yes, BSL males are barred birds.

It got into the BSL bin because it was black, and looked like a BSL pullet, but it is not a BSL.

My guess would be Australorp or possibly Jersey Giant....though leg color is off (which can happen at hatcheries), but at 2 months with that comb development, it is definitely a rooster.

Feed stores and hatcheries mix up bins all the time....or people pick up chicks, forget where they got it, and put it in the nearest bin.

Another thought....in natural lighting, are the legs willow green? If so, then it likely is a black Easter Egger.

But rooster, no matter what breed or mix it actually is.

LofMc

I got an australorp is this really one? And im pretty sure shes a girl better be cuz i love her shes so friendly

Last edited:
Thats what ive been thinking hes a rooster because my other ones developed big nice tails and there feathers first. He has a small tail his feathers didnt develope as fast and now his legs are thick the biggest legs out of all of them waddle and comb development. My other ones dont have much comb and no waddles yet they are also two monthshes the same age as my other ones except for the silkie shes a week younger. And his voice is also different then the others

Last edited:
I believe it is a rooster and not a Black Sexlink, because, yes, BSL males are barred birds.

It got into the BSL bin because it was black, and looked like a BSL pullet, but it is not a BSL.

My guess would be Australorp or possibly Jersey Giant....though leg color is off (which can happen at hatcheries), but at 2 months with that comb development, it is definitely a rooster.

Feed stores and hatcheries mix up bins all the time....or people pick up chicks, forget where they got it, and put it in the nearest bin.

Another thought....in natural lighting, are the legs willow green? If so, then it likely is a black Easter Egger.

But rooster, no matter what breed or mix it actually is.

LofMc
x2

Also you Australorp does look like an Australorp pullet.

Back
Top Bottom