Black sex link male or female

looks like a rooster but he's the color of a black sex lnk hen I'm thinking rooster and another breed but what breed i am not sure but good luck
fl.gif
D.gif

Last edited:
Hi, cityfarmer88
My first flock included black sex links from My Pet Chicken, it soon became obvious one of my black sex links pullets was a cockerel even though he had the typical solid black (pullet) non barred appearance. I never did figure out what he was or how that happened. He grew very large, we called him Meaty, you can see below in his chick stage giving me the stink eye
lol.png
. It was then I knew for sure she was a he. as you can see he ended up really pretty, but was super agressive and hard on the hens. I was initially in denial that he had to go,
hu.gif
, but he had to go..... he was delicious.
-Dom

Hummm, Jersey Giants take longer to mature, not really sure....Can't make out the neck & tail feathering does have alot of red in the comb, wattle & face area. Guessing Cockerel but I'm not very familiar with the breed. Someone with more experience, correct me?

Black Sexlinks pullets are not typically all black. They are all black as chicks, but as adults they usually have red bleed through on the hackles, chest, and sometimes body.

Sometimes, you get all black, but usually a BSL pullet will have red/auburn markings. She should also have grey legs or predominately grey/black legs (but that varies as it is a hybrid).

LofMc

BSL1.jpg

1035-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom