Black Sex Link Question

A tub full of 100 Black Sex Links at TSC all have white dots on their heads. This confuses me. Sho

• Learn more about Black Sex Links.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Assume they are all roosters.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Assume they are mutt chickens.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sprid

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2016
Hello All,

First post but I've been a lurker for years! I was at Tractor Supply today and they were selling "Straight Run Black Sex Links" All of them (about a hundred) had white dots on their heads which I thought meant either 1) They were not really Black Sex Links or 2) They were all roos.

The TSC employee assured me 1) They were in fact Black Sex Links, 2) Black Sex Links can be differentiated by the white spots and 3) They were not all males. It was a confusing conversation to say the least. I bought 2 just to "see what happens" but I really wanted to buy all 100!

Anyways - something smelled funny to me so I was curious if anyone else had thoughts on the issue. I guess I would feel better if either my understanding of sex links was wrong or they were selling mutt chickens - because selling all roos as straight run feels really really wrong.

Thanks,
Todd

The females should be all black and the males have the white dot on the head, unless the rules have changed.

Hello All,

First post but I've been a lurker for years! I was at Tractor Supply today and they were selling "Straight Run Black Sex Links" All of them (about a hundred) had white dots on their heads which I thought meant either 1) They were not really Black Sex Links or 2) They were all roos.

The TSC employee assured me 1) They were in fact Black Sex Links, 2) Black Sex Links can be differentiated by the white spots and 3) They were not all males. It was a confusing conversation to say the least. I bought 2 just to "see what happens" but I really wanted to buy all 100!

Anyways - something smelled funny to me so I was curious if anyone else had thoughts on the issue. I guess I would feel better if either my understanding of sex links was wrong or they were selling mutt chickens - because selling all roos as straight run feels really really wrong.

Thanks,
Todd
They probably came in s straight run but customers ahead of you picked out all the girls,

They probably came in s straight run but customers ahead of you picked out all the girls,
I could see that as possible- it's what I would do :) - but the chicks looked a day or two old to me (all fluff - no feathers) and the bin was full (chicks covering the 70-80% entire bottom of the bin). Unless they combine the left overs from the straight run there is no way that double the amount of chicks could have fit.

The few times I got chicks at the tractor supply they were mostly males, I'm sure the hatcheries are looking to unload the males on people who might not yet know what they are buying, especially with Easter fast approaching, just my guess.

welcome-byc.gif

My first thought is they're straight run barred Rocks instead of bsl.

Second thought is they're all black sex link males.

I'm wondering how the employee thought they could be differentiated? I'd like to hear the explanation for that one.

The few times I got chicks at the tractor supply they were mostly males, I'm sure the hatcheries are looking to unload the males on people who might not yet know what they are buying, especially with Easter fast approaching, just my guess.

I'm sure with sex links, those who knew picked out all the girls, but otherwise I do believe it is the luck of the draw. My husband got six bantams (straight run) at TSC and five were girls.

Legs are orange. One has a black ring around its beak. Both have white dots.

Those could be barred Rock pullets or bsl males. Since they're both single barred, they're virtually identical at this age.

Back
Top Bottom