Black Swedish babies are not Black Swedish

Thank you for that link. I will read it next!

Quick thought? What if one of the parents was mixed with Ancona? Could that explain the spotted ones? A couple of the spotted babies have black dots right and the top of their bill which look like Ancona ducklings, plus the main hen in question lays blue eggs like an Ancona.

Thanks again. I am learning so much!!
So that is what is confusing me. If your ducks had the runner pattern allele (that is what Ancona have) they would be spotted, it is a dominant trait. Since the parents aren’t spotted they shouldn’t be able to have it?!

Maybe @The Moonshiner would know? He mostly deals with chickens but I think has some ducks and is good with genetics in general. Idk for sure that he would know but worth a shot.
So that is what is confusing me. If your ducks had the runner pattern allele (that is what Ancona have) they would be spotted, it is a dominant trait. Since the parents aren’t spotted they shouldn’t be able to have it?!

So here’s possibly a partial part of the mystery solved. I believe my Drake is not a black Swedish. After careful Google analysis 🧐 I believe he is a Duclair. I also believe one of the mamas is a Ducair or Duclair mix. The spots on the duckling bills are consistent with Duclair babies as are the yellow coloring. I know I have to keep these guys at least until they feather out to see what they will become. I am very excited!

I do not know what to make of the spotted ones. That trait is dominant which means it can’t hide. Maybe @Pyxis, will have better ideas.

I think at least one of these adults DOES have the runner (pied) gene. The white that's going up around the face and also coming down from the bib onto the belly is actually most likely runner pattern - a bin stays on the chest, but one copy of R causes that type of white patterning.

The one mama that looks like true swedish with her coloring, has always looked to me to have more of a runner style body. This is making much more sense now. Thank you all so much!

Back
Top Bottom