Black_cat's Brooder Thread! Come see my brooder ideas/plans/questions.

Pics
-Should I have the heat plate with one side a bit higher than the other? If so, when should I start doing that?

I'd set the heat plate hi/lo from the start, let the chicks decide how much heat they want.

-How do you offer chick grit?

I sprinkle a pinch on their food every few days. I discontinue doing that once they're old enough to be eating with the adults and are ready for pullet size grit.

-How long before your chicks arrive (not ship) do you set up your brooder?

I'm pretty terrible with this... I set up everything AFTER I get them, because I don't want to get things set up and then end up coming home with no chicks, and then have to undo everything. For the same reason I don't buy chick feed until I buy the chicks. But I can set up my brooder pretty quickly, like maybe 5-10 minutes.

The one exception is I have the heat pad on in advance, I want that ready to go and don't mind paying for a couple extra hours of electricity.

-What do you do if the power goes out? (Not likely but I want to be prepared)

Well we do have a generator, but... they shouldn't just keel over from a couple hours of cold. My heating pad outlet's shut off at night before and the pad's gone completely cold, and I've never had a chick die or fall ill from that.

When looking at another thread, someone said that they put corid in their chicks water as a preventative measure. Is this a good idea? Can you do the corid and the Sav-A-Chick in the same water? Which one would you choose over the other?
Edit: I'm dumb-if I have medicated feed I don't need the corid. I can do the nutrient stuff in the water and medicated feed. Duh.

When looking at another thread, someone said that they put corid in their chicks water as a preventative measure. Is this a good idea? Can you do the corid and the Sav-A-Chick in the same water? Which one would you choose over the other?
Edit: I'm dumb-if I have medicated feed I don't need the corid. I can do the nutrient stuff in the water and medicated feed. Duh.
You are not dumb, you are learning. Everyone had to learn these things at some point.
If you use medicated feed you don’t need Corid.
I personally wouldn’t give them Corid if they aren’t sick.

Back
Top Bottom