Bless Their Heart... And Other Southern Sayings

Quote:
Here everyone pulls over to the side of the road and stops for an ambulance or a hearse. It's a respect thing. Also we take our hats off if we see the American flag, a hearse or funeral procession. We had a soldier come home from Afghanistan last year that had died in the war there and there were thousands (And I do mean thousands) of people lining the four lane highway holding their hats in their hands as the procession went by. We had walked the two tenths of a mile from our house to the highway, thought we would be the only ones in our rural area there but almost everyone that lives on our road was there.

We might be backwards in a lot of ways, but I'm still proud to be from the south.

I used the ambulance sentence to illustrate the pronunciation, not the action.
smile.png

Here everyone pulls over to the side of the road and stops for an ambulance or a hearse.

That is also normal in Michigan. Hearses will go through red lights here, along with the cars behind in the funeral procession. All the cars involved have an orange flag stuck to them.​

I've heard:

Drunk as a cooter bug.

"How you doin'?" "Rough as a cob."

He has the personality of a stick.

It's so hot the dogs are bribing the dogs.

He's so ugly his mama had to tie pork chops to him so the dog would play with him.

Since I'm originally from Florida my South Carolina husband and I had an occasional communications problem here and there. Once, he asked me to get a wrench from the boot of the car. Still being a newlywed, I obeyed (I now tell him to get the wrench). Searching for the boot I asked him where it was.

"In the back of the car," he shouted from the living room couch.

Looking for several minutes with no results my red-head temper began to rise. "Ain't no boot in the back of the car!"

His voice changed timbre. "All cars have boots in the back!"

"Mine don't!" I screamed. "And who in xxxxx puts a wrench in a boot! Most people put their foot in a boot!"

This made him rise off the couch, march out of the trailer with the slam of the screen door, and point at the trunk of the car. "That is the boot!"

"Do what? That's a trunk!" I waved at a yellow jacket wasp attracted by the heat of my temper.

"Its a boot!" he insisted. "Elephants have a trunk!"

"You wear a boot! It goes on your feet! And a trunk goes on the back of the car so you can put extra things in there." I glared at him.

Sweating in the summer heat, he opened the trunk, retrieved the wrench and returned to his place on the couch.

A few weeks later we had another discussion about the anatomy of a car. We mostly agreed on the usual things but had another miscommunication about the inside of the car.

"Will you put the tire gage in the dash?" he requested politely and gave me the pencil-like device. I promptly laid it on the smooth surface behind the windshield.

"How's that?" I asked. "It might roll off and get lost under the seat."

He pointed at the glove box. "Put it in the dash."

I put my fingers on the metal surface reflecting the heat of the sun. "That's a dash."

"No, that's the dash," he insisted, leaning over and thrusting his finger at the door to the glove box.

"No, that's the glove box. You put your driving gloves and other non essentials in there," I informed him.

"I'll put the tire gauge in the glove box so it won't roll under the seat and get lost." I said and put the gauge in the box.

After 29 or so years of marriage he still loves me. Bless his heart.

My first roommate in college was from Massachusetts. One morning I said to her, "I'm fixing to get in the shower." She said, "What?" "I'm fixing to get in the shower." "FIXING to?" So I said in my most proper English, "I am getting ready to get in the shower. Understand?"
roll.png

Do other regions use the word "heathens" like we do? I usually use that one with my kids, when we're somewhere and there are kids running around acting like fools. "No, you stay right here, you're not going to go out there and act like a bunch of heathens."

I don't know 'bout y'all, but down here in the hollar it's hot enough to burn a wet mule!

Also, in Kentucky if your related to someone, your kin.
As in , " I know they was fighting drunk last night, but they's kin. And blood is thicker than water. "

Back
Top Bottom