Bless Their Heart... And Other Southern Sayings

Quote:
LOL! My grandma was from NY city and she'd say that! LOL!

My grandpa would say he was going to "dump his grates" or "change his oil"

Quote:
I'm a born and raised Southern Gal still living in Mississippi. I've been getting quite a kick out of reading all these Southern sayings. Not many that I haven't heard. But this one about the Slow sign had me laughing till I cried.

We had a sign, just a few houses before ours, as you came around the turn, that said "Slow Children Playing". It became a running joke in our family. Every tme we passed it my kids would say "I wonder who the slow kids are? I know, I think it's that little redheaded girl"

I've spent the last 18 years as a public speaker and corporate trainer and while I've lost most of my Miss. accent I apparently haven't lost it all or enough of it because I was in NY once, in a cab, and as we crossed a bridge I asked the cab driver "Is this the Brooklyn Bridge?" He said "what?" I said again "Is this the Brooklyn Bridge?" He had me say it a few more times and finally he said, in his heavy Brooklyn accent, "Lady, I can't understand a word you are saying."

Here's one you Southern guys will probably appreciate-my husband was sitting in the garage after work yesterday and said, "I'm gonna go get me one of my col' beers(no "d" on the end of cold). Not sure if that's just a Texas thing or what?

native Texan and shore do miss it...

I remember vividly when I was in 4th grade and Mrs. Sadler returned my spelling test to me with the word "cain't" marked with a big red "x". I really had no idea why she did that.

How about this one (someone may have already mentioned it, didn't real all 17 pages)..."He/she done got beat with the ugly stick!" (for someone who was not very attractive).

I'm from a small town in Alabama & my DF is from a small town a couple of counties away. I don't think either one of us could ever live anywhere else but the South. I love our expressions & way of talking. My DF's best friend is like a dad almost to me. He's lived in south Florida (around Miami) all his life, but he's been thinking about moving up here & getting away from the hectic pace down there. So, we've been having a lot of fun teaching him some of our expressions. My favorites are:

My dogs' are barking.

I've gotta go see a man about a dog.

Don't pee on my leg & try to tell it's raining.

If it'd been a snake it'd have bit me.

all the way to kingdom come & back (ex: Her skirt's so short, you can see all the way to kingdom come & back.)

the north end of a southbound mule (ex: He's as ugly as the north end of a southbound mule.)

It's coming up a gully washer.

Arcadia is home of the Bull-Riding Championships. Attending the rodeo is akin to attending church. "Amazing Grace" is always sung before the National Anthem. Those big 'ol boys with their huge shiny buckles, Stetsons clutched to their chest, always bring a tear to my eye - God, then country!

I grew up in rural Tennessee in the 50's & 60's, went to a one room schoolhouse, with an outhouse, yet. Hot lunches were what we had when the temp went above 90 outside. One of the great yuks of the time, as I recall, was that you would walk up to another kid and say "guess what?" When he said "I dunno, what?" you would say "chicken squat". The country version of poop humor, I guess; we all thought it was hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom