Blind Chick!?

chickengal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
I am pretty sure I have a blind chick. His eyes have been oozy since it hatched. I used a warm cloth to keep the crustyness off for the first week. They continue to mat shut and when I clean them they look small and I really feel like the chick is blind. It is a week and a half old. None of the others are picking on it. He stumbles to food and water. He is smaller than the rest. Can a blind chick survive long? Should I cull it?

I have a half-blind hen and after a bit of extra TLC as a chick she has done fine. I know other BYCers have raised fully blind chicks successfully. You might try doing a search using the keyword 'blind' to read of their experiences.
Good luck to you.
smile.png

I have blind chick as well. It is a silkie that was hatched with a huge vaulted skull. Real wide. So wide that I think it hindered the development of the eyes. I could just barely take my fingers and pry open one of his eyes but it won't stay open because of the huge vaulted skull.
The other eye I couldn't open without forcing it way to hard so I didn't try.
He is about 4 weeks old now and eats and drinks fine. I hope it is a hen so if she goes broody I can use her for that and keep her in a safer place.
By the way, has anyone else had a silkie with such a wide skull that this happened too??

Good luck with your chicky. I would get some medicated eye ointment and put it on. They should carry it at a pet store in the dog and cat eye/ear section. Real small tube, Costs about $12.

Back
Top Bottom