Blood in coop?

119bowhunter

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2016
Went outside this morning to check on my chicks (1 month old today) and noticed a spot of blood in the coop, I assume it was pooped out but it didn't appear to have any stool in it. My chicks were moved from their brooder into the coop on Saturday and a couple of them began eating some of the blue board insulation in the walls, which I covered up after I noticed them eating it. They were vaccinated for coccidiosis and Mareks at the hatchery, and I'm unable to tell which one the blood came from, they're all acting normal. Should I treat for cocci or do you think this could be from eating the insulation? Please advise

That spot could have come from just about anything and given there was no stool with it to assume it was expelled that way and treat for a non-indicated issue would be impractical. Even with no visible injuries on the birds bleeding wounds can have occurred - especially as the birds were just moved and are likely doing a little jostling as they settle on who is who in the new surroundings (moves can cause a shift in pecking order to take place) or even just general rough housing, etc.
Until/unless you see more bleeding or other indications of a problem, I would let it be.

Ok thank you, I will continue to monitor the situation...hopefully they'll all be alright when I get back home!

Back
Top Bottom