"Blood red" yolks...What is happening?

This is a bush type honeysuckle with red berries. They all were jumping up to get berries after they gorged themselves on the bottom branches. Most of the berries are gone so I should see a change in the yolk. This yolk was solid red, no blood streaks.

Good news she is back to normal. She must have gorged on the honeysuckle. Her yolk is normal yellow so she is safe from my DH.....

I would cull the honeysuckle!
big_smile.png

images
images

These eggs are perfectly good to eat. The coloring is natural and comes from foods that are consumed.

Your chicken might have eaten some red beetles or redwiggler worms that affected the color for a while.

Do not be afraid? If you google "blood red egg yolk" there are lots of pictures of these eggs and even recipes for pasta colored by these yolks.

I saw Guy Fieri on Food Network in a Canadian restaurant where they made fresh ravioli's and some other foods featuring these eggs.

Best wishes with your hen.

I live about 10 miles from OSU Wooster (OARDC) and they do have a HUGE research unit for chickens. Just give them a call. Administration 209 Research Services
1680 Madison Ave.
Wooster OH 44691-4096
Voice: 330-263-3701

Back
Top Bottom