Bloody poop - not cocci

Roos

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2022
Brazil
Hello all!

I'm Gio, from Brazil, I'm new here.

My adopted chick is very lethargic and there's blood in her poop, her avian vets can't figure out what might be wrong so any help would be deeply appreciated.

She's around 2-3 months old now, her sisters and brother are absolutely fine, all other chickens are fine too. The vets tested her poop, but it came negative for cocci (they are testing a new sample now just to be sure, but they've pretty much ruled cocci out). Her crop is full and watery, but not impacted (says the vet, because it does empty after a while). She's not eating much and just stands or lies down, closing her eyes.

Her symptoms began two days ago when we medicated their water with oxytetracycline (to treat a limping rooster, which the vets also couldn't diagnose and now think it's just some joint issue).

For now, she's just isolated inside, with a heat lamp and taking dipyrone 12/12. The vets don't want to start a treatment (no nistatin, no antibiotics) without being sure to prevent anything from getting worse.

Has anyone seen anything like it? Could the antibiotics have caused it? Could it be a trauma? (they free range)

Pics:
elsa.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

It would be helpful if you would repost the photos and select "full image" so we might then zoom in to see the red stuff better.

A possibility is enteritis from an inflammation or bacterial infection of the intestines. This should be treated with a strong broad spectrum oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin or even a sulfa antibiotic.

I would definitely treat for coccidiosis even though the vet saw no coccidia, because of her age. If you cannget a sulf antibiotic such as sulfamethoxazole or similar one, it will treat both coccidiosis and enteritis. Worms also can cause blood in poop, but at her age I would treat first for coccidiosis and later, for worms.

20220805_150252.jpg

She just pooped this and is lying down, breathing hard, open beak :/
I'm taking her to the vet and will ask if they can give her sulfa (it's prescription only here). Thank you so much!

She's home again 😻

20220808_131610.jpg

She stayed in at the vet for the weekend, I managed to talk them into giving her sulfa and she's recovering so fast! Her poop is almost normal, she's active and happy again. I cannot thank you all enough, you saved her life ❤️

In addition to the sulfa, she also took metronidazole just to be safe in case it was giardia, fluids and pain meds. But I think it was indeed enteritis, she's an orphan and has been free ranging just for a couple of weeks now, I'm sure she ate something she was not supposed to.

Hello all!

I'm Gio, from Brazil, I'm new here.

My adopted chick is very lethargic and there's blood in her poop, her avian vets can't figure out what might be wrong so any help would be deeply appreciated.

She's around 2-3 months old now, her sisters and brother are absolutely fine, all other chickens are fine too. The vets tested her poop, but it came negative for cocci (they are testing a new sample now just to be sure, but they've pretty much ruled cocci out). Her crop is full and watery, but not impacted (says the vet, because it does empty after a while). She's not eating much and just stands or lies down, closing her eyes.

Her symptoms began two days ago when we medicated their water with oxytetracycline (to treat a limping rooster, which the vets also couldn't diagnose and now think it's just some joint issue).

For now, she's just isolated inside, with a heat lamp and taking dipyrone 12/12. The vets don't want to start a treatment (no nistatin, no antibiotics) without being sure to prevent anything from getting worse.

Has anyone seen anything like it? Could the antibiotics have caused it? Could it be a trauma? (they free range)

Pics:
View attachment 3212234
View attachment 3212236View attachment 3212237

Its lining but mine always shed when it's something wrong it's always something like Mycotoxin, Alphatoxin and bacteria

What i do is only to give good quality pre-probiotics that's it. It clears out fast with this instead of antibiotics on chicks is pretty hard

Very good to hear that your vet treated her with the sulfa antibiotics. Whether it was coccidiosis or enteritis or both, it is nice that she is recovering.
I notice the same thing and even i did some fecal float there's never shows up not even eggs or bacteria but mycotoxin that's a big issue everywhere
And mycotoxin mimic exactly the same like Necrotic En. Coccidiosis

Back
Top Bottom