Bloody poop

I would run Corid through their water immediately... if nothing else, as a precaution. I see an awful lot of bright red in there, and while it COULD be intestinal shedding, there's quite a bit of it, and it's really bright.

Treat your entire flock with it as soon as possible!

1.5 teaspoons powder OR 2 teaspoons liquid per gallon of water, 5-7 days, and make sure it's the ONLY water they can access during treatment.

Hopefully, the red will clear up.

MrsB
X2!
I totally agree.

Ok, so here's the update. Sorry it's late. The red stuff in the poop slowed down and then stopped, during which time the chickens were acting normally. On the first day that I noticed no bloody poop, I received the Corid which I had ordered online. I didn't bother to use it, and I e noticed nothing else amiss. So now I have corid on hand in the event something like this happens again, which I hope it doesn't. Thank you all for your advice and concern, it helped a lot.

I'm really glad to hear the bloody poops went away.

I'd still do the Corid. It's gentle enough that it can be given as a preventative with no side effects. :)

MrsB

After reading thru this thread, and a couple of others, I am pretty sure one of my month old chicks has cocci. Would it be possible for someone who has more knowledge of this, to help confirm or deny. She is not acting funny at all, eating and drinking normally.

If its helpful, this chick was also squished a couple of weeks ago, and ended up with a bloody nose. After the night away from the rest of them, she was doing just fine. So possibly she has internal issues from that?. Again, she is running around the run, eating, drinking, and acting just fine. TIA

That looks like a normal cecal poop to me. :) Every eight to 10 poops, an oily-looking poop will appear. Totally normal.

Your vet can run a test on a fecal float to confirm the presence of cocci or any other parasite your chickens might have.

Since Corid is a really gentle medication, you could run it through your flock's water every now and again as a preventative. :)

Hope that helps!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom