BLRW from chicken scratch poultry?

hx28586

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Has anyone ordered either firltile eggs or day old Blue Laced Wynadotte chicks from Chicken Scratch Poultry? If so, do there colors show true to the breed? I ordered eggs from them and those are now in the incubator, but I found pics of there adult BLRW and I am not to sure they are pure of breed. I could be wrong about this and if I am then I will feel bad about posting this question in the forum.

I bought 14 eggs from Chicken Scratch Poultry. Only 5 hatched began to form. I was very disappointed in their marketing. They described their eggs as Robin egg's blue, but actually were very pale blue. Other eggs described as 'pink' were beige and their French Copper Marans eggs were described as dark chocolate but were a medium brown, no different than any other brown layers. The French Copper Black Marans I hatched have white on their wings, which is a flaw. They were suppose to have feathered feet and only have one or two feathers sticking out of their legs. When I wrote to them about the color of the eggs they responded with a statement something to the effect 'what did you expect' and I said I expected the colors you described. I won't order from them again.

Yes, they also told me about the 'pink' eggs. Mine were not pink at all...simply beige, just like others. They also claimed eggs were Robin's egg blue when they were simply pale blue and that their Marans eggs were dark chocolate brown when they were only medium brown. my hen lays a medium brown egg, I have no pink and my blue is pale. I think this is an area that should be regulated a bit more....their truth in advertising is lacking. I never heard of black laced red wyandottes...only blue.
Black is really the base color. It becomes blue when 1 dilute gene is inherited. It becomes splash if it inherits 2 dilute genes.

Black x Black=100% Black
Black x Blue = 50% Black & 50% Blue
Blue x Blue =50% Blue, 25% Black, & 25% Splash
Splash x Blue=50% Blue & 50% Splash
Splash x Splash=100% Splash
Splash x Black= 100% Blue

I have gotten 24 chicks from Chicken Scratch. I only orderd 16. My chicks are only 5 weeks old, so seeing quality, I would have a hard time with. They seem quite cute so far. I LOVE the gray colored Ameracaunas and OE's. Although, I am not sure I would care as I only have them for fun and for eggs. I have to say that Chicken Scratch was wonderful to deal with, animals were healthy, packed well and they had great communication. Here's hoping for more Hens Than Roos!!!!
fl.gif

After seeing mostly splash birds on there website, I looked into established breeders and found one named Foleys Waterfowl and Poulrty. The wife found a dozen of his BLRW hatching eggs for auction on ebay and won them for me. So I think i'll have a little more to work with once they hatch and I see what I come up with in terms of color and type.

I have ordered both eggs and chicks. they are all splash birds except one I hatched was blue but his comb is all wrong. it's a pea comb but it's all spikey. I will not be ordering from them again.

You were not happy with their birds? I ordered 16 chicks due to be shipped in April.....I ordered 2 lavender orpingtons, 6 BLR Wyandottes and 8 Araucanas. I am mostly interested in the araucanas. My birds will be pets, but I did want pretty birds with interesting colors. I dont want my birds to look the same. Am I going to be disappointed?

You were not happy with their birds? I ordered 16 chicks due to be shipped in April.....I ordered 2 lavender orpingtons, 6 BLR Wyandottes and 8 Araucanas. I am mostly interested in the araucanas. My birds will be pets, but I did want pretty birds with interesting colors. I dont want my birds to look the same. Am I going to be disappointed?
i was wondering how you ended up with your order. i am getting some in april 2013

i was wondering how you ended up with your order. i am getting some in april 2013

I plan on making a separate post 'cause I'm interested in some of their other breeds too, but I'm curious as well because the Araucanas were one of the breeds I was interested in. I was, and still am, on the fence about getting lavender Orpingtons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom