Blue Andalusians... opinions and experiences!

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Hey there BYC! Wondering about anyone’s experiences with Blue Andalusian chickens!

I have a very diverse flock, breeds, egg colors, etc... and we are expanding it this year! We currently only have one chicken that lays white eggs, and I’m looking for other reliable full sized breeds. No Bantams, but a large breed would be fine. And I have no interest in Polish.

Im primarily looking at Blue Andalusians. Our flock free ranges all day, so that would be good for them as I hear they don’t like to stay confined. We also have a 400sqft run with clutter, so that should be okay for the mornings and evenings. We live in a colder climate, but have a sturdy coop. We have a Leghorn, I hear they are of similar hardiness, and she did wonderfully this winter.

I have read that they are prone to feather picking... have you noticed this? What’s the severity? Any other problems or benefits you see to this breed?

They seem like a wonderful breed to have in flock. I’m not sure of them picking on feathers. They might do that due to stress.

If I can find live chicks at my local farm supply store this year(they had them last year), I might try one or two. I like having a good diversity of birds... and if I’m not a fan, we won’t get them again!

My 2 cents,we live in NW Washington and our Andalusian hen doesn't lay between October and April. If that's important, something to consider. Apparently a Barred rock Andalusian cross is more cold hardy. Going to try that this year! Otherwise love the personality and beauty of 'm.

My 2 cents,we live in NW Washington and our Andalusian hen doesn't lay between October and April. If that's important, something to consider. Apparently a Barred rock Andalusian cross is more cold hardy. Going to try that this year! Otherwise love the personality and beauty of 'm.
Definitely a thing to consider. I live in Central WA so it gets cold here but we have a ton of sun. I had a white leghorn and even she laid through the winter, with no heat or supplemental light. A slight drop off, maybe 3-4 a week instead of 6-7, but still. We may have been lucky but it was pretty encouraging.

My farm supply store didn’t get them in this year, but I’d like to try them in future years.

Too bad that you couldn’t add them to your flock this year as we have a few pullets and they are a joy! We call them our circus girls as they are very agile and love to keep busy playing on their swing. Hopefully you can get your hands on some chicks in the spring 🤗 (sorry to bump your old thread - just looking for more information on them as we’re thinking about breeding them in the spring)

I adopted one from the shelter and live in the mountains of Colorado. We haven't hit winter yet, but I did notice a slowdown in her production (getting ready to molt maybe?). Her personality is skittish but curious. She hates staying in the run, but they all free range in my yard during the day so no problem there. She is very vigilant and extremely athletic.

Mine is pretty quiet aside from morning talk (everyone thinks she's a rooster because of it). I'm not sure if she is skittish/flighty because of her previous home, but she is coming around.

She has plucked my EE's tale feathers down, and is kind of a bully, but I assume she is just making herself present in my flocks pecking order (I only have 6).

She was raised in colorado, so she's seen cold temps and doesn't seem to have an issue with her comb. She likes sleeping by herself while the rest of the ladies group together for the night (I have two coops in the case there is conflict or someone falls I'll they can be separated).

Granted, I've only had her since July so I am still getting to know her personality. Also, the large white eggs are a bonus.

I have 4 Blue Andalusian’s hens,and all are very active,sweet and curious!I find that depending on the day either they will be cuddly and try to be with you all day or be so flighty they don’t want to be even in your vicinity! They generally hate being picked up unless it’s on THEIR terms.I’ve also found they have great long-term memories that just pop up to your advantage if you train them correctly.When they are chicks and you train them to be calm in a certain pen they will remember that training..but only if they are in the same spot they were trained in!Like my splash hen Mist is the shyest most timid chicken ever and will run from you the moment she sees you,but get her in the pen she remembers and she is so calm she sits in my lap and in my hands forever while I pet her.And yes since they are so active they aren’t the best birds for being confined mine do feather pick if they get too bored!They must be let out for at least 4 hours a day.

Hey there BYC! Wondering about anyone’s experiences with Blue Andalusian chickens!

I have a very diverse flock, breeds, egg colors, etc... and we are expanding it this year! We currently only have one chicken that lays white eggs, and I’m looking for other reliable full sized breeds. No Bantams, but a large breed would be fine. And I have no interest in Polish.

Im primarily looking at Blue Andalusians. Our flock free ranges all day, so that would be good for them as I hear they don’t like to stay confined. We also have a 400sqft run with clutter, so that should be okay for the mornings and evenings. We live in a colder climate, but have a sturdy coop. We have a Leghorn, I hear they are of similar hardiness, and she did wonderfully this winter.

I have read that they are prone to feather picking... have you noticed this? What’s the severity? Any other problems or benefits you see to this breed?
I have two blue Andalusians and they cute but not a favorite, they are flighty and will escape. Same with the Cal. Whites and the Anconas, very flighty and not very tame.

The two blue andy's are named Mari and Mayumi, they were very sweet as babies. :love

Back
Top Bottom