Talk To Me About Breeds Laying Blue Eggs

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I want to add blue eggs to my basket and would like to hear people's experience with various blue-laying options.

Ideally, I'm looking for,
  • Guaranteed blue or blue-green eggs. None of this "can lay any color" business. I have Australorps to lay brown eggs.
  • Egg size at least US large (56-63g).
  • Reasonably early maturity (allowing for time of year). I have a home-bred OE (eggs from a friend's flock), who was hatched on Easter and still hasn't laid a couple months after her hatchmates started (barely over 1 finger on the "butt check).
  • If at all possible, not red.
  • Not vastly more expensive than brown/white layers ($10 per chick for blue-egg *surplus* -- c'mon, Cackle! That's your discount pack?)
Preliminary research suggests that the Whiting True Blues might fit. Anyone have experience with them in re: my criteria?

Anyone want to recommend some other breed?

Cream Legbar & True Ameraucana (Cackle is the only major hatchery that sells them) would be the only two other guaranteed breeds I know of…we have 2 Legbar and 2 WTB at the farm just for the guaranteed blue eggs for our rainbow cartons. I can update you on their eggs and size once they start laying.

Meyer & Hoover have some blue Eggers but if they aren’t a true breed I don’t think they would be a guaranteed blue one.

Blue Isbars lay a large blue egg. Even in winter.
bi.PNG
bia.PNG

I have a WTB that is almost 2 1/2, she is splash in color and a powerhouse layer of large blue eggs. She started laying at 19 weeks. She a sweet laid-back lady. She broke her previous laying streak of 11 days this last summer when she laid for 16 days straight, took 1 day off and was right back at it.

I have a WTB that is almost 2 1/2, she is splash in color and a powerhouse layer of large blue eggs. She started laying at 19 weeks. She a sweet laid-back lady. She broke her previous laying streak of 11 days this last summer when she laid for 16 days straight, took 1 day off and was right back at it.

Sounds like my kind of chicken! That rivals my California White.

It sounds like the Whiting True Blues are the best fit for you, honestly. It does look like some of them are reddish, but if you order extras, you can sell off the ones whose color is unappealing to you and keep the ones whose appearance you like. 🙂

Legbars are allllmost perfect for you, too. Their Leghorn blood makes them early and prolific layers of large blue eggs. Mine currently is in desperate need of a molt, but she keeps pumping out eggs almost every single day and she just won't stop! Unfortunately, everywhere I've seen them for sale recently has been for about $10 per pullet chick, and based on previous conversations they fall into the 'red' category for you, unless you find Whites which may or may not be more expensive than the Creams. Meyer also has Opals now, allegedly... but if I remember right they're wanting something outrageous like $80 per chick or something! :th

Ameraucanas could also fit the bill, but they're generally later layers and they have smaller combs and fluffy feathers that might not do so well in your heat based on your experience with Wyandottes with proper rose combs. There are other major hatcheries that have them besides Cackle that I'm aware of; Meyer is one of them, and McMurray has both true Ameraucanas and Easter-eggers labelled as Ameraucanas, so be careful with them if you go that route. I'm not sure off the top of my head if any others have them as well.

Also of note, Blue Isbars, which were erroneously called such when imported to the U.S. and should properly be known as Silverudd's Blues now, are supposed to lay green eggs, so if you're specifically wanting blue they may not be the best choice.

Good luck deciding! I look forward to seeing what you end up with! 😁

It sounds like the Whiting True Blues are the best fit for you, honestly. It does look like some of them are reddish, but if you order extras, you can sell off the ones whose color is unappealing to you and keep the ones whose appearance you like. 🙂

Legbars are allllmost perfect for you, too. Their Leghorn blood makes them early and prolific layers of large blue eggs. Mine currently is in desperate need of a molt, but she keeps pumping out eggs almost every single day and she just won't stop! Unfortunately, everywhere I've seen them for sale recently has been for about $10 per pullet chick, and based on previous conversations they fall into the 'red' category for you, unless you find Whites which may or may not be more expensive than the Creams. Meyer also has Opals now, allegedly... but if I remember right they're wanting something outrageous like $80 per chick or something! :th

Ameraucanas could also fit the bill, but they're generally later layers and they have smaller combs and fluffy feathers that might not do so well in your heat based on your experience with Wyandottes with proper rose combs. There are other major hatcheries that have them besides Cackle that I'm aware of; Meyer is one of them, and McMurray has both true Ameraucanas and Easter-eggers labelled as Ameraucanas, so be careful with them if you go that route. I'm not sure off the top of my head if any others have them as well.

Also of note, Blue Isbars, which were erroneously called such when imported to the U.S. and should properly be known as Silverudd's Blues now, are supposed to lay green eggs, so if you're specifically wanting blue they may not be the best choice.

Good luck deciding! I look forward to seeing what you end up with! 😁

My end-goal is a breeding flock of Blue Australorps, a little project flock of Silver-Laced Australorp(ish) birds, some white layers, some blue layers, and some dark brown layers (Alas, I can't get the feather-footed French Cuckoo Marans from Ideal anymore, they only have clean-legged Cuckoo Marans).

With the exception of my son's pet Cochin, I don't want any brown layers except for the Australorps.

Back
Top Bottom