Talk To Me About Breeds Laying Blue Eggs

Greenfire Farms has some interesting land-race chickens that lay either blue or lay green (couple different land races), but $$$$

For what you're looking for, I wouldn't recommend the Hoovers Prairie Bluebell. Mine laid at 6-7 months, about 4 eggs a week. Egg color variation from almost white to slightly blue. Inching towards a large egg, but has taken a few months to get there. Chicken color variety is vast - black, blue, chestnut partridge and silver-laced partridge - they don't come in red. They're a mix, so some colors bleed through. Very flighty, curious, and active, probably good at foraging and evading predators, but not a very friendly or calm chicken, although individuals can be friendly. The listing on Hoovers states 15% chance of non-blue eggs. So far, one of my four laying pullets is laying a tan egg. Two have still yet to lay, and they were born around the first week of April.

Next time, I'm probably going to get some Whiting True Blues and see how those work out. I hear those occasionally lay white or tan, but hopefully not as often.
Actually, you will never get a white or tan egg from a WTB, they may come in a lot of different colors, but they breed true for blue eggs

I had Whiting True Blues - definitely recommend. Great for all your criteria, except maybe eggs are not reliably Large? I didn't weigh and don't have WTB right now, so don't have numbers to say for sure, but they definitely weren't huge (though I did have a lot of extra larger layers at the time so maybe they just seemed smaller by comparison). Good daily layer, and mine starting laying at a younger age. Mine had a tendency to lay really early or really late in the day. Lots of feather colors available, mine were mostly blue/black/splash, with some brown accents sometimes. I was very happy with them.

Actually, you will never get a white or tan egg from a WTB, they may come in a lot of different colors, but they breed true for blue eggs
That's what I thought, but I had one member tell me directly that she had raised WTB for a while and had an occasional white or tan layer. Might depend on the line? Maybe her stock wasn't as pure as she thought? As I recall, WTB is a developed breed in the 1900s, so an occasional white or tan over many generations wouldn't surprise me, but the incidence of occurrence has to be a lot lower than for the Prairie Bluebells. And I'd really like some bluer blue eggs...

That's what I thought, but I had one member tell me directly that she had raised WTB for a while and had an occasional white or tan layer. Might depend on the line? Maybe her stock wasn't as pure as she thought? As I recall, WTB is a developed breed in the 1900s, so an occasional white or tan over many generations wouldn't surprise me, but the incidence of occurrence has to be a lot lower than for the Prairie Bluebells. And I'd really like some bluer blue eggs...
Mine were all blue, from a breeder with a very large flock and hers were ALL blue. A nice blue too.

I had one prairie bluebell and her eggs were blue but very pale. Powder blue. Something in their genetics I think.

The brightest blues I've had were from Easter eggers. Tending towards mid tone tealish instead of baby blue, gets more vibrant.

Mine were all blue, from a breeder with a very large flock and hers were ALL blue. A nice blue too.

I had one prairie bluebell and her eggs were blue but very pale. Powder blue. Something in their genetics I think.

The brightest blues I've had were from Easter eggers. Tending towards mid tone tealish instead of baby blue, gets more vibrant.
WTB and Easter Eggers will be my next attempt at blue/green eggs I think. Thanks for the comparison information! If I had known then what I know now...

[FWIW, Hoovers Starlight Green Eggers lay me a nice mint/sage green egg almost every day. Smooth egg, good color, medium at least in size. But their feetpads have issues - their feet are the roughest of my flock, and seem irritated easily. Also, only the red/white mix SGEs laid the green eggs, my one partridge SGE laid tan. Again with the 15% don't lay green (ugggghhhh!)]

My Ameraucanas did well in costal Texas heat and humidity. They should be laying by December when they will be around 20 weeks. So late to lay but aren't having a bad time with the environment.

I think we get hotter here then you do? Was in the 100s for more than a month.

Yes, parts of Texas definitely get even hotter than we do here.

Back
Top Bottom