Blue Barred Rocks?

Yup. I had a blue barred EE hen out of a BR rooster over Blue Ameraucana hen years ago. I do have Blue Rocks, too, so if I put them with either of the BR roosters, I could get blue barreds again, but those hens are too old and arthritic to subject them to that now.
This was Riley.

Very pretty

Yup. I had a blue barred EE hen out of a BR rooster over Blue Ameraucana hen years ago. I do have Blue Rocks, too, so if I put them with either of the BR roosters, I could get blue barreds again, but those hens are too old and arthritic to subject them to that now.
This was Riley.

May I ask what color eggs she laid?

I'm guessing a light greenish egg?

Yes, it was green, though not all that light. If she had come out with a single comb, she would probably have laid a brown egg, but you can see she has a pea comb. Sure miss that girl. I still have her two half sisters, Panda and Gypsy. Panda is also sired by a BR rooster, has no beard/muffs and a sort of high pea-single combo comb. Panda's eggs were light olive green with brown speckles (she hasn't laid in a few years because she's 9 yrs old). Gypsy is full blooded Ameraucana. I loved a pic I had of all three together, same mama, three different sires, though of course, Panda and Riley had BR dads; I can only find this one of Gypsy and Riley together, but I know I had one with Panda, too, somewhere. Panda and Gypsy live in the same old hens' group now.
DSCN4191.jpg

I want to breed for color and peacomb first and then go for an egg color.

She is prettier than I thought she would be. All my chicks have full muffs so far.

Moms are both splashes so I'm getting lots of blues. I have some Paul Smith blues and self blues that I may include on this little adventure. They're still juveniles though.

Yes, it was green, though not all that light. If she had come out with a single comb, she would probably have laid a brown egg, but you can see she has a pea comb. Sure miss that girl. I still have her two half sisters, Panda and Gypsy. Panda is also sired by a BR rooster, has no beard/muffs and a sort of high pea-single combo comb. Panda's eggs were light olive green with brown speckles (she hasn't laid in a few years because she's 9 yrs old). Gypsy is full blooded Ameraucana. I loved a pic I had of all three together, same mama, three different sires, though of course, Panda and Riley had BR dads; I can only find this one of Gypsy and Riley together, but I know I had one with Panda, too, somewhere. Panda and Gypsy live in the same old hens' group now. View attachment 1042746

I love the blue barreds. I did get a blue barred cockerel years later from a Delaware colored crossbreed (out of a single barred rooster whose own sire was a pure Delaware) and a splash Rock hen. Of course, there was no Ameraucana in there, no beards, etc. I love the blue barreds. I always thought Riley was one of the most beautiful hens I ever had. Good luck with your project!

Thank you so much. I think this will be fun. I've often tried to come up with a project and these chicks just sorta happened on accident. So I'm gonna roll with it.

My Barred Rock Roo mated with my Easter Eggers, hatchery Ameraucanas, and I produced what I can only describe as Blue Barred Rocks. They are definitely blues and they have a spot on the head and my oldest one is getting Barred wings. The other three just hatched today. I was wondering if thevspot means they are all Roos or if anyone has a similar cross. They're so pretty.

I think the mama that produced them was my splash hen and they definitely came from blue eggs.

Thank you for any responses. I will post pics if anyone is interested.
I'd love to see some pics

Back
Top Bottom