Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Sorry this has taken so long Vicki, but as I explained to you, it's nearly impossible to get good photos of these little stinkers. They follow me everywhere and are constantly under my feet....they make me crazy. :)

For now these are the best photos I could get.

These are the 7 Blue Copper chicks that hatched 3.19 from single mating my Splash Copper hen to Will the Black Copper male.

I banded 5 (yellow bands) of the 7 that showed white face markings.

I banded the other 2 (pink bands) that showed very little to only a speck of white at the outer corner of the eye.

The 2 pink banded pullets are huge! Also, upon inspection yesterday afternoon, they are both showing copper in the hackles.

Out of the other 5, one cockerel, #34 is showing a speck of copper in his hackle. Both of the other cockerels are not. #34 and #35 cockerels already have their correct eye color.....all others are still the greenish color. It's weird to me, I've not had eye color change this early before.

Out of the 5 yellow banded chicks, 2 of them #34 cockerel and #31 pullet are a lighter medium toned blue with nice edging coming along.

All other chicks both yellow bands and pink bands are a darker toned blue.

Here they are again at a week old. The 2 pink arrows are the 2 pullets that are banded pink.

These photos are just random shots of them and a couple individual shots.

#35 and #36 cockerels

#34 cockerel.....this was taken a week or more ago before his eyes changed. It was a dark photo, but his eyes were the greenish color not dark as the photo shows.

Sorry this has taken so long Vicki, but as I explained to you, it's nearly impossible to get good photos of these little stinkers. They follow me everywhere and are constantly under my feet....they make me crazy.
smile.png

These are the 7 Blue Copper chicks that hatched 3.19 from single mating my Splash Copper hen to Will the Black Copper male.

I banded the other 2 (pink bands) that showed very little to only a speck of white at the outer corner of the eye.

The 2 pink banded pullets are huge! Also, upon inspection yesterday afternoon, they are both showing copper in the hackles.

Out of the other 5, one cockerel, #34 is showing a speck of copper in his hackle. Both of the other cockerels are not. #34 and #35 cockerels already have their correct eye color.....all others are still the greenish color. It's weird to me, I've not had eye color change this early before.

Out of the 5 yellow banded chicks, 2 of them #34 cockerel and #31 pullet are a lighter medium toned blue with nice edging coming along.

Here they are again at a week old. The 2 pink arrows are the 2 pullets that are banded pink.

#35 and #36 cockerels

#34 cockerel.....this was taken a week or more ago before his eyes changed. It was a dark photo, but his eyes were the greenish color not dark as the photo shows.
They look like they are doing great lady! I like my chicks to be filled out nice and wide like that even when they are young. My chicks I believe are a few weeks behind yours and so far am liking the beefiness here as well. It will be very interesting to see how they grow out in terms of body type and color. The tone of blue is more that happy medium that will help you with the coppering, and even tho you have a couple that are darker blue, I believe properly mated you will get to that tone you need no problem. I'm just hopeful that you get a Splash male out of a mating this year that is worth keeping. That's the gold you'd need to be able to be fully versatile in the blues program. On the pumpkin colored eye, here any blues and splashes I've had that exhibit copper at a younger age also have eye color that changes quickly. I noticed it last year and it was true of all the hatches I had, and am keeping track of it again for this year a well.
Btw, I have some young black birchen cockerels with almost full hackles already! Very good news

Sorry this has taken so long Vicki, but as I explained to you, it's nearly impossible to get good photos of these little stinkers. They follow me everywhere and are constantly under my feet....they make me crazy.
smile.png

#35 and #36 cockerels

Kim, Looks like the splash and BC mix is working just fine for you. Did you do the Black male and one of the splash females ?

Thanks Vicki and Don!

I am very excited to see what these little ones will be. I am very happy with their sizes, especially the 2 pink banded pullets, they are bigger than 2 of the cockerels, but the same size as my favorite #34 cockerel. The other 2 pullets, banded yellow are good sized, but they just do not have anything on the pink girls.
Color wise, I am really liking the blue color of #34 and #31. The others and the slightly darker blue tone is fine and atleast they are not so dark that they appear black. This is a good thing.

I'm cartwheel happy over the shank and outer toe feathering.........all of them are feathered like the 2 in the close up shots. This black male, Will, is putting nice feathering on all of his chicks.

Don, yes, I used the Black Copper male over my oldest Splash Copper hen. I am going to be keeping all 3 of the cockerels photo'd in my post (heck, I'm keeping all the chicks from this hatch. LOL), I would like to see how they all turn out.
My goal is to breed the best one back to his mother. I would like to get as many chicks out of her as I can before she gets any older. In particular, I would like to get a splash male out of her. She has produced my best males since I started. Seems like I always go back to her in hopes of getting more boys. Her female offspring are okay, but always seem to be a bit on the small side, nicely built birds, but smaller than I like, with the exception of these 2 pink banded pullets this time around.

My goal with the 2 pink banded pullets is to test mate them back to their grandfather, my Blue Copper male, Lil' Bill. Also looking for a nice Splash Copper male out of this mating. Can't tell that I want a splash rooster can ya? :lol:

I would really like to test mate #31 to this beautiful Splash Copper male that I have that came from a breeder in Texas. He has the biggest, bushy-iest wide open tail I have ever seen. He is a good looker and is sporting a nice type. He is 5 months old, I can't wait to see him beef up some more. The 2 pullets that came along with him and are a month younger are catching up in size with him faster than I can believe.

Thanks Vicki and Don!

I am very excited to see what these little ones will be. I am very happy with their sizes, especially the 2 pink banded pullets, they are bigger than 2 of the cockerels, but the same size as my favorite #34 cockerel. The other 2 pullets, banded yellow are good sized, but they just do not have anything on the pink girls.
Color wise, I am really liking the blue color of #34 and #31. The others and the slightly darker blue tone is fine and atleast they are not so dark that they appear black. This is a good thing.

I'm cartwheel happy over the shank and outer toe feathering.........all of them are feathered like the 2 in the close up shots. This black male, Will, is putting nice feathering on all of his chicks.

Don, yes, I used the Black Copper male over my oldest Splash Copper hen. I am going to be keeping all 3 of the cockerels photo'd in my post (heck, I'm keeping all the chicks from this hatch. LOL), I would like to see how they all turn out.
My goal is to breed the best one back to his mother. I would like to get as many chicks out of her as I can before she gets any older. In particular, I would like to get a splash male out of her. She has produced my best males since I started. Seems like I always go back to her in hopes of getting more boys. Her female offspring are okay, but always seem to be a bit on the small side, nicely built birds, but smaller than I like, with the exception of these 2 pink banded pullets this time around.

My goal with the 2 pink banded pullets is to test mate them back to their grandfather, my Blue Copper male, Lil' Bill. Also looking for a nice Splash Copper male out of this mating. Can't tell that I want a splash rooster can ya?
lol.png

I would really like to test mate #31 to this beautiful Splash Copper male that I have that came from a breeder in Texas. He has the biggest, bushy-iest wide open tail I have ever seen. He is a good looker and is sporting a nice type. He is 5 months old, I can't wait to see him beef up some more. The 2 pullets that came along with him and are a month younger are catching up in size with him faster than I can believe.
Very good! As long as you keep going this route of careful matings, you should start seeing more consistency of copper. For the most part, minus in the birchens and silvers, I get pullets larger than the cockerels from hatch til about 3 to 4 months. Then the boys will start to catch up.

I will try to get some shots of chicks from the first hatch, but gotta go try and do some covering in the garden since we are supposed to get a really severe storm this afternoon while I'm at work. I'm not looking forward to it, especially since they are calling for really large hail and high winds. They also are issuing tornado watches as well, so hope we don't lose power at work, or have to make everyone pile into the coolers to stay safe.
fl.gif

Thanks Vicki and Don!

My goal with the 2 pink banded pullets is to test mate them back to their grandfather, my Blue Copper male, Lil' Bill. Also looking for a nice Splash Copper male out of this mating. Can't tell that I want a splash rooster can ya?
lol.png

That is a beautiful group you have there, congratulations!

I purchased some blue black splash eggs. After hatching hawk got a few, and then I ended up with two mean splash roo's. I couldn't trust him with any hens. So I'll have to start over.

Back
Top Bottom